Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:08 PM   #1
Default Unusual SoCal Scenes

Recently I happened to capture this unusual scene in Southern California, especially for October:

It made me glad that I had one weather sealed lens with me that day (taken with the K7 and DA*200).

Not many people were out and about for lunch that day, and most seem to have umbrellas. I wasn't quite sure that they sold such things in Southern California.

On a different day recently, I caught this scene. The subdivision's mailboxes are directly behind me.

And then, while driving across the Mojave Desert very early one Saturday morning. These were all shot from a moving car, mostly through the windshield.

The light changed quickly. It ended up raining all around us, but we saw very little of it.

We don't see all that much of this type of weather. Others might find it all very dreary, but the rain is well appreciated and it makes for something different. It's great fun to have a weather sealed camera and lens for times like these.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:18 PM   #2

a beautiful series. your first desert pic (after the pink flower) is amazing.

I could not tell if the captions were following the pics or if they came prior.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:43 PM   #3

That first sunrise is great, but catching that rainbow just at the end of the sunlit area was perfect. If a leprechaun lives in that house at the end of it, there must be a pot of gold there, too!
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:02 PM   #4

Fantastic colour. You mean water falls out of the sky as a liquid??!! Only see it as a solid here.
Riverview, NB, Canada
Current equipment
Pentax K7, K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-PM1, E-PL1, E-P2, E-P5: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:13 PM   #5

Great photos Harriet, especially the rainbow. Today was a cold and drizzly day here in Vermont, but I can appreciate how rare rain is in SoCal, and considering how dry your region has been recently, I'm sure the rain was sorely needed.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:52 AM   #6

Wonderful wet series! So glad you were prepared for the unusual weather. Rainbow is indeed stunning - perfect timing, exposure and composition. Sunrise photo a close second...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:57 AM   #7

A fantastic series! For us Brits, an October without rain would definitely be very unusual.

#5 is brilliant with the rainbow but the sky in #6 is just wonderful. I also have a soft spot for #2, I just love photo's of puddles/water reflections
Ke1th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:18 PM   #8

Wonderful series, Harriet!
Just beautiful.

I guess that kinda blow that song all to pieces, doesn't it?

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:44 PM   #9

The rain pictures were all taken in West L.A. on a lovely lunch-time walk.

The rainbow picture is the one that I took by our subdivision's mailboxes. That house was for sale when we were looking to buy (a long time ago) but it includes something like 20-30 acres and was way out of our price range. It's probably a good thing - it's next to a big hill that's on national forest land and is a popular snow play area. They must have a horrible time with people ("flatlanders") not respecting their property fence.

Keith - I almost didn't post the picture of the puddle. I also love things like that, but figured I would be the only one. But it did show that it was more than just a few sprinkles.

The sunrise pictures were taken out the window of the car along Hwy 58, getting close to Barstow, middle of the Mojave desert. It's very much out in the middle of no-where, but there's often beautiful sunrises.

Ira - Perhaps I'll have a chance to post some of your solid water this winter. That's not a for-sure thing though - they are talking about La Nina and drought, and it's been mild (frost only 2 days so far). I'm afraid we'll get extra rain this fall and then have a basically dry winter (it's done that before).

GW - that song isn't all that far off - that lovely soft rain that I captured above isn't all that common. It often pours instead of rains, just like the song says.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:30 PM   #10

Very nice!
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote