Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:31 PM   #1
Default Looking For Autumn

Yesterday I decided to see if I could find some autumn colors. We had originally talked about going to the Southern Sierras Saturday but our car had other ideas.

The area where I live is naturally conifers of various sorts. That means the only fall colors I can find are in my neighbors yards - a number of trees grow very well here, but they aren't native.

I've been struggling with photography in general recently and especially with my well-loved manual focus macro lens. So I took only that lens on my walk. It didn't take that long to get used to manual focus again, though I didn't try anything too difficult.

I think this is my favorite shot from yesterday, I guess because I like the colors.

Found some red:

Something found this flower tasty:

The trees just aren't changing much yet:

But this tree is in full color:

Other trees don't have many leaves left. The yellow leaves are on a tree in a neighbor's yard. The trees in the distance are on national forest land - that's what our area would look like without people - pines and other conifers that never change.

Finally, one of my neighbors has several rose bushes:

I can't resist taking a picture of such a pretty flower. Anyway, that's about all I've managed for pictures recently. It was actually fun to go walk in the rain that one day - it got me out of my funk, then looking through everyone else's shots the last couple of days was inspirational, got me off my duff and actually doing something.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:22 PM   #2

Very nice photos. I especially like the rose. Even though they've been transplanted, I'm surprised to see maples in SoCal. The first photo looks like leaves of the Silver Maple, and the second looks like red maples. I'm probably wrong about the first, since in New England silver maples grow mostly on river banks and lake shores. They like very wet soil, and I'm guessing that's pretty scarce in your area.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i find myself drawn to the red leaves shot and the rose shot here. very nice.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:13 PM   #4

I second that, the composition on the rose is spot on. Good enough to be on a Hallmark card

lovely series Harriet
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:57 AM   #5

Great colors on the maples and the (aspen??). Wonderful texture and detail on the rose. Wonder who was munching the clematis??
Especially like the distant view of the National Forest - such an interesting contrast between the native landscape and the "domesticated" one.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:26 PM   #6

I'm sure the green/yellow tree is aspen, they do very well up in our area. I'm not so sure that the second one is aspen but don't have a clue what it might be if it's not. Maples also grow up on our mountain but they need tending. My neighbor is looking forward to the day when his are big enough to tap (the couple I took of his tree weren't as good as those I posted here).

I didn't see anything on the clematis (that's what the flowers are?) so don't have any idea which of the many insects I've seen up here were using them for dinner.

The domestic tree that's contrasting with our native conifers is likely to be our usual cottonwoods. They grow like weeds and while they aren't native to our particular area, I think they are native not too far away from us.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:33 PM   #7

These are super nice, Harriet.
Very sharp and the lighting was really working for you!
The rose is one of the prettiest I've seen in a long time.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:45 PM   #8

Very good shots!

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 4:23 PM   #9

Nice shots! Photography , for me, is an avenue to take my mind off the issues of life for a bit. A simple picture of a rose can stir so many things in ones mind. Growing up with roses growing out side the house and being able to smell them when you walked by. The scent of a flowershop, earthy but sweet. A date with a special someone. The loss of a special someone. Celebrating the winning of an event. How nice it is to be alive. Photography helps us to stir and to be stirred by what is in us and in others.
bock1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 5:57 PM   #10

What are those tall things? Are those what you call trees?

Sorry, I miss autumn. Great series.
Riverview, NB, Canada
Current equipment
Pentax K7, K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-PM1, E-PL1, E-P2, E-P5: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Oct 25, 2010 at 6:40 PM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote