Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:25 PM   #11

The colors and views are great but, that first shot is a killer!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:27 PM   #12

Originally Posted by mole View Post
Hope I am not boring you with too many hikes lately, and that you enjoyed this fine 15 mile hike into a great wilderness area. Thanks for any comments & critique!
Never. Just thinking about hiking all those miles is exhausting, but the shots are always great, and the narrations add enough interest to make us look forward to the next one all the more!

That Dutchman's Pipe vine reminds me of a strangler fig. Is it wrapped around itself or something else?
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:36 PM   #13

awesome series again mole! Your mountain views of the fall colors are spectacular
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:48 PM   #14

Beautiful photos as always Mole. I never tire of your lovely waterfall shots, nor of the spectacular views of your glorious mountains. Please keep hiking, and please continue to bring us along!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:29 PM   #15

As a child I Lived in Tenn. for a while as well as N.C.. I lived in the mountains and moved quite a lot as my father was involved in the wood industry. Your pics were a welcome sight and brought back many memories of trecs through the woods on old long forgotten logging roads. The wild life was plentiful in those days, (bears included), a few rattlers, rabbits and deer. Calm peaceful contented feelings engulfed me along with the musty smells of the fall forest.. I can still smell the sassafrass roots I dug up for tea, boiling them in a tin can over a small fire while sitting on a large stony outcropping I always seemed to be drawn to. Looking out from that jutting slab of stone, high above the surrounding hills I would see scenes akin to those you captured and posted here..Those were the days! Well hope I did not bore you, Thanks for sharing the hike, I look forward to seeing more of those incredable mountains! Well done! Frank
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 9:27 AM   #16

Mole your last few shots looking out over the colored landscape are showing more color than I have seen in one panorama here in NE. Love the falls and the fauna you have captured in this series.

I am finding our fall colors this year more spottier. Heavy wind and rain storms a week or so ago took a lot of the foliage from the tops of our trees.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 4:20 PM   #17

Greg - Thanks so much! We do indeed have some fine wild places, and great spots for viewing them!

GW - Thanks! That first one was my favorite too - that A 35-105 lens sure has some nice qualities...

Penolta - Glad you're not bored (planning to post some more soon...). It really was not an exhausting hike - good trail conditions and perfect weather! To answer your question - Pipevine is twisted around itself (a rather common growth habit), rarely twists around anything else. This is the food plant for Pipevine Swallowtails (the butterfly I posted earlier in the year, along with a number of its mimics).

NMR - Thanks so much - glad you enjoyed the view!

MtnMan - So kind of you to say so! Will post some more soon.

Frank - Thanks so much for sharing your fascinating memories - so glad my snapshots brought back good memories for you!

Lou - We've had a great, but rather brief autumn color season. Nearly all the leaves (except Oaks & Beeches) are down after recent winds & storms.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:18 PM   #18

You seem to have a knack for doing very enjoyable series...

Not in the least bit boring...
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2010, 9:35 PM   #19

Love your hiking shots - I so want to get out more. I know, all I have to do is throw my stuff in the Jeep and just go, but somehow I rarely manage that any more. And everything that's close around me doesn't change much - hard to get excited about taking pictures of pine cones and pine needles when I've taken hundreds of pictures of the exact same needles and cones (doesn't help that the pinon pine, a common one around here, only grows a few inches in a year). Your area looks far more interesting.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2010, 9:53 AM   #20

i am sick of commenting on your photos because i just keep saying "these are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!"
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote