Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:28 PM   #1
Default Shooting in the dark...

long time no see , well...have been sick and a lot of work, but tonight I got inspired...was going to take some pictures in the dark with just the moon light...it is getting cold and that makes perfect sky/light

but....it didn't turn out the way I want....for several reasons....one, How the hell do one focus in the dark? Autofocus doesn't work, and it is to dark to see if anything is in focus??!?!?!
or is it just a learning curve??

I did use a tripod so I could use longer shooting times, and still keep the iso low, but the pictures are blurry?! why? and when shooting I got "blinking" of everything, so I turned to manual and shoot with that...

here are some pics (the only one that is good is the moon shot)
the exifs should still be in the pics..
Attached Images
Shooting with a:
Sony NEX F3
Sony 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 OSS
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:40 PM   #2

Focus on the moon shot looks right on. On the second photo, I'm quite sure the problem was not focus -- it appears to be camera movement. You used a tripod, so I don't know how or why the camera moved, but in my experience that type of blurriness is caused by movement during a long exposure.

You asked how to focus in the dark, and all I can say is manual focus is the way to go. If you can't see your subject clearly, use the distance markings on the lens, and a relatively small aperture for a deep depth of field, in case you estimate the distance incorrectly. There are many on this forum who know more about this than I do, and I'm sure others will chime in.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:55 PM   #3

If your subject is far enough away that you can't shine a flashlight on it to focus with, just use infinity setting and small aperture (f/8). With tripod, you shouldn't have to worry about motion blur from the camera, if you use the timer and mirror lockup. (my *istD does this automatically with 2 sec timer) A remote is best, but if you don't have one, set up the shot, with the timer on, press shutter button lightly, and don't touch camera.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote