Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:37 PM   #1
Default K5 Buffer For Continuous Shooting

I have read a lot of opinions on this subject. I have updated to the 1.01 firmware. Nothing scientific here but I noticed this when reviewing my photos. On one sequence of a Blue Heron flying from selecting a branch back to the nest there was a burst of twenty consecutive frames using DNG Raw. The camera never slowed down during that burst. Attaching five of those photos.

K5, Sigma 150 - 500mm

Attached Images
snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:32 PM   #2

Wow ed, did you say 20 shots in one burst without slowing down? I'm not sure how many RAW files my K20 could swallow in one burst, but I rather suspect it would start to slow down before reaching a dozen. And the max. burst rate of the K20 is only 3 frames per second. I'm happy with my K20, but I have to admit, the K5 sounds like a really nice camera!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:10 AM   #3

Great series,

my max nr of consecutive shots has been 28 in raw dng with the 1.0.1, not for testing but tracking a heron, after the the 28th it had landed. using a scandisk Ultra II card of 8Gb.

That would be about the max other users have posted.

Another thing that I didn't know was that if you wait a few seconds you can start another series of high speed shots while the buffer is still clearing, while i know there are cameras where you'll have to wait till the buffer is empty before you can take another shot.

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 1:07 PM   #4

Very impressive!
Great images too. The camera is only part of the equation, you have to be able to use it properly too. You do an excellent job of that.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote