Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:38 AM   #11

Thanks for all the support

the more I read the more I'm sure Pentax will have a hard time, eplaining/fixing this. And even locating the users who have a problem, and those who don't know what those darn bunnies in the camera are.

Next week I'll contact the shop where I got the camera and send a mail to Pentax. (email and post).

Till then I'm just going to enjoy the camera. Got 2 years warranty so I'll better see that the problem is registered and then slowly follow it up. A replacement would be fine, anything what would get the stains of also.
With a repair I hope it will be fast.

I'll post the results if and when I get them.

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:15 AM   #12

Good Morning Ronnie,

I have read over on the Pentax Forums that Pentax has acknowledged the stains, and will repair / replace the camera. So, I think that you can make a determination to either swap the camera with the retailer or send it to Pentax for repair. Here is a thread on the topic.....
Another thread over at PF has a survey on how many camera bodies have the stain problem vs the ones that do not. Interesting numbers. Of the folks who have indicated, its running 55% with folks reporting stains - with 260 users reporting.
Jump down to post #362 (page 25), which has a response attributed to Pentax...
"If you purchased the camera from a Pentax online dealer, and until we find out which batch(es) are affected by the stains, we recommend keeping the camera and not exchanging them for another unit. Once we fully understand the origin of the stains and how to deal with them we will be encouraging affected K-5 owners to send in their cameras for warranty repair."
On the bright side of thinking, if Pentax repairs the stain sensors (actually the AA filter or the glass covering the sensor (from Hoya?) from what I have read), I am wondering if Pentax will have a lot of refurbished K5 bodies to sell at a discount? In a way for Pentax - that would be too bad with such a tremendous body, however if this does occur, it may be just a wonder potential acquisition route.

There is more on this at this link - including a statement from Ned Bunnell Pentax USA...
Anyway, over at PF there is a very active area just dedicated to just the K5.
Its a shame that for everything that they have done well on the K5 that this problem crops up. It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. On a unit swap with the retailer, I can only wonder about the problem on the bodies in the supply chain and what the serial numbers are where the problem was recognized in the factory.

... hopes that helps ....

Last edited by interested_observer; Dec 18, 2010 at 4:34 AM.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 6:44 PM   #13

i would like to know what exactly the susbstance is on the sensor and thatll help figure out what you need.

I had a dirty sensor due to grease falling on the sensor (yes Grease!) it left a big black streak. it would not come off with a number of lens and sensor cleaning solutions

I couldnt find any help online on how to clean so i winged it and tried some good old under the kitchen sink bottle of grease lightning

i was extremely nervous when squirting grease lightning on the cloth to clean sensor but I figured, what could be worse than a big black streak on sensor?

and guess what? The grease lightning made my sensor look brand new, no big black stain, no cleaning streaks, no anything, perfect looking brand new sensor

this was a risk I took and if i had to do it again Im not sure I would, but ever so glad that it worked
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 6:48 PM   #14

i am mentioning this also because the stain you have resembles the grease stain I had on my camera sensor, (only mine was a very large smudge from me repeatedly trying to clean it off)which im guessing could have gotten there from assembling camera or falling off on some mechanical part, or a lens. most likely these are getting on sensors from factory

looks like grease to me, but i hate to guess ...
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:44 AM   #15

I don't think there's been a final determination, and there have been numerous guesses, but it seems like the stain is between the sensor and the AA filter cover glass, so it's not user cleanable. The latest that I've heard is that it's a defect in the glass -- bubbles, which kind of makes sense since they seem to occur in multiples and int streaks with decreasing diameters. Some users have done some very precise measurements, and these have shown them to not be on the surface that can be cleaned.

You're a braver person than me, I've not had to wet clean a sensor yet, and don't care to. In the case of the stain, it's probably best to test specifically for it, then if it shows, just bide your time and send it to Pentax to let them take care of it. No sense of taking a warranty issue and making it into a situation where they can deny warranty liability.

I bought my K-5 knowing that there was a possible issue. I knew that for my purposes, it would probably not show up in my images (usually only really evident at smaller apertures than f11). I figured that if mine had the stains, I'd just shoot and experiment with it over the holidays, then send it in later in the winter before my real shooting season started.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote