Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:01 AM   #1
Default Merry Xmas and a few K-5 bird shots. . .

Hi All,

I'd like to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and hope the New Year is a good one!

This is a photo forum after all, so while I don't have any holiday-related shots, I do now have a few that are more typical of what I like to shoot. . .

The first are of a Great Blue Heron. . . I spotted this guy all alone at the corner of the retention pond of a nearby hospital. He was standing near the only open water on the pond, and this is the first time I'd ever seen a Great Blue Heron in the area this far into the winter. He doesn't look happy. . . It took me a while to get closer. I had to walk down a slope of recently snow covered grass without any cover and I was wearing all dark clothes, so I was very visible to him against the snow.

The last is a Dark Eyed Junco at the Nature Center. I stopped by to report the GBH to see if a rescue might be called for, and the Juncos were everywhere around the feeder at the entrance. They're tough to shoot against the sky, so I thought I'd give it a try.

All are with the new K-5 and FA*300/4.5 + F 1.7x AFA (510mm f7.7). It was shadowless overcast with very flat lighting, and the camera was set for both highlight and shadow correction on as I had been experimenting with these the previous day. The resulting images were very flat, so I've added some contrast and saturation plus a little sharpening in PP.

I'm reserving a "review" of the K-5 until I have more of a chance to use it outdoors. . . so far, I can say that it's an awesome indoor available light camera -- I'm having a lot of fun with it and surprisingly the DA 18-250 which I'd never really considered anything close to an indoor lens for any reason. . .

Attached Images
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2010, 8:06 AM   #2
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year to you as well Scott! Nice pix with the new K5...I like the pose in the first one!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 9:29 AM   #3

A Merry Christmas and wishful great new year to you, too, Scott. You're right, he sure does look unhappy. Did you get a rescue set up for him?

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:09 AM   #4

The dark-eyed Junco is a wonderful picture, they are always cute. That GBH looks cold. I can't imagine he'd find food around there in another month, can he? What do the nature people do for these somewhat displaced birds?

Love the pictures, and I'm looking forward to your impressions of the K5.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:29 AM   #5

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Scott. Nice shots!

The second Heron if it were wearing suspenders and wore dark rimed glasses would look like Larry King.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:46 AM   #6

Merry Christmas Scott (and everyone else) - all the best for the holidays.

I do like that Junco image - we have a number of them around here - in addition to the hundred or so finches, cardinals, sparrows, woodpeckers, etc. that frequent the feeder!

Please keep us posted on the GBH if you are able to!

Marc Langille Photography | Photography Workshops | PPG

“The camera is only a tool: the image is the product of your mind and vision.”

Last edited by Marc Langille; Dec 25, 2010 at 10:51 AM.
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:26 PM   #7

The k-5 was a great Christmas present to yourself! And it will make for a Happy New Year, too!
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 1:04 PM   #8

I love the GBH shots, Merry Christmas to all

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:39 PM   #9

Hi All,

Thanks for taking a look -- and the comments.

I've swung by the pond a number of times, and he was no longer there, so I'm hoping that he was strong enough to take off and find some more suitable fishing ground. I've done some research, and apparently it's rare, but there have been quite a few sightings in this area throughout past winters, but mostly near larger rivers where the flowing water can allow for more open water. The closest larger river in this area is the Fox -- about 20 miles to the west.

I have seen pics of GBHs eating just about anything they can catch, so it's very possible that he can survive, even if the weather gets rougher, as it's likely to. Anyway, if he can keep up his strength and maybe get a little farther south, I think he has a good chance.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:59 PM   #10

Best wishes back at ya, Scott.
Great shots with the K-5 I'm hoping to get my hands on one sometime in the next few month.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote