Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:20 PM   #11

Great photos Mole. I have a special fondness for lichens. Back int the 1970s, for my college senior thesis, I proposed conducting a study way up in northern Labrador correlating the growth of lichens with the end of the Little Ice Age. Alas, the committee evaluating the proposals thought I was scheming for a month-long all expenses paid camping trip to Labrador, and they declined to fund the study. (They were largely correct.) But to this day I still have a special fondness for lichens.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:27 PM   #12

Lichens are interesting. I know nothing about them, other than they are interesting to look at (and photograph). There are all sorts of variations of them on the rocks around Mt. Pinos. While I've tried to photograph them (sometimes successfully) I've never really thought about them and the variety. Next time I'm up there I should do more of a photographic study of them, rather than just take an occasional picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:37 PM   #13

thats a great variety of lichen
i like the all green photo and how they all mix in together
we have a few lichen over here, but nothing like your variety (not that i know of)
i like the abstract look of the white fungi too
and that first photo looks soooo spooky

i went to a lake yesterday but the birds wouldnt let you get close, Dawgs cat lens wouldnt have been long enough, i am still reviewing what i (almost) got
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 7:47 AM   #14

I'm liking your lichen.....I am always amazed at how intricate some of them can be when you get right down and look at them.So many people just see them as this mass of stuff and never realize what a neat life-form they are.Great shots!
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:33 PM   #15

Again, you remind me to look at and photograph the small stuff.

Nice ones, mole.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:47 PM   #16

Nice study of the lichens.

I also like your handling of the Coots. It is another tough bird to get exposed correctly. You did a bag up job here!

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:16 AM   #17

GW - Glad these brought back good memories! Hope you can make it back up here sometime (might want to wait until after the snowstorm...)

MtnMan - A great story! Too bad they figured out your "ulterior motives!"

Harriet - Will look forward to seeing your great photos of some of your lichens! There are three common groups of lichens (and a few "oddballs"). Most any lichen you find will probably be either a CRUSTOSE lichen (flat and attached to all of the surface, often appearing to be part of the surface), a FOLIOSE lichen (attached at several points, but still obviously not a part of the surface), or a FRUTICOSE lichen (only attached at one point, and looking more like a plant-like structure). Now you know more about lichens than most!

John - Glad you enjoyed them. Try looking closely - your lichens are probably just as diverse as ours!

Kashka - So glad you're likin' these! It is indeed amazing and humbling to see how much detail there is even in the smallest portions, most ordinary-looking parts of the creation!

Patty - Thanks so much! I actually came rather unprepared for these photos - had intended to photograph mostly landscape stuff, so did not have the macro lens or even the Raynox. But that old A 70-210 is a semi-macro, and did just fine...

Lou - Thanks for your kind words. That old coot (not me, the bird) was a lot of fun to watch, but, as you said, not so easy to photograph.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:28 PM   #18

that first photo. stunning. and i love how you turned the lichen into pattern. like, instead of giving the complete context for all of them, making them into purely nature photos (which i have full confidence that you could do) you turn them into an artistic pattern, making the viewer interested in lichen visually. i don't know if that made sense. it did in my head.
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:42 AM   #19

Vole - Yes, it did make sense and I appreciate your very helpful & insightful comments!
PS - that first photo did involve some HDR work to show all the dynamic range...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote