Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:25 PM   #11

I too have been the second shooter at two weddings. Think you know photography? Think again. Weddings are a tough shoot. Ditto to advice above on flashes and back up camera. If you must go ahead, my advice is to shoot A A LOT of pictures. And I mean A LOT!
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2011, 11:27 PM   #12

I think you've pretty much talked me out of it. Thank God!
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 6:19 AM   #13

I think that would be the wise decision Tony.

Maybe you could suggest you'll bring your camera and take some shots that maybe the pro wouldn't go for just to add another perspective - but stressing that these are only for fun and it would be best to let a Pro shoot the standard Wedding portfolio. That way maybe you could get some tips and learn something from the pro whilst still enjoying the day (and a drink or two)
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:27 AM   #14

Originally Posted by tony3dd View Post
I think you've pretty much talked me out of it. Thank God!
Hehe ,
don't be too sad! Personally I'd opt for the chance to take my camera with me and take some non-serious/candid photos.

Two main chances, both are rewarding in their own special way:

Stay around the "pro" wedding photographer and take the images he/she can't/won't take. Re-/Ab-use his/her light equipment, take the "in-between" shots. Look for funny/rare/special moments.

- if the kids ask the pro, if they could take a photo too with the pro's equipment, click happily away. This is an image, that the pro can't take (as his/her camera is used) but everyone will enjoy.
- the usual fuss around the couple. Kids being bored or running around, chasing each other. The waiting people (that are lined up for their own shooting, close relatives and so on). Everybody will remember it, but the pro will not have photos
- the pro does formal (frontal) pictures? YOU do the profile shots...

Stay away from the couple and snap the pictures they can't see. "While you were away this and that happened". Since some/many people are with the couple, the other areas might be less crowded, which is a nice bonus. Nothing more to say here really. Maybe this: you can probably get the architecture shots now with no/less people standing in the way.

For #1 a medium tele is a good choice (I prefer my K135/2.5, sometimes the M85/2), for #2 a general purpose walk-around zoom OR a somewhat wider zoom. I prefer fast lenses for #2, too.

Hope that helps - go get em, tiger!

P.S. You DO know, where you can/have to post your candid images, right?
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote