Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 23, 2011, 5:43 AM   #1
Default Exposure compensation question

Just wanted to get some info about the pentax EV system when using it with a flash. Is it similar to the nikon system where the camera and flash ev are linked. The EV compensated both the flash and camera EV together. Where you need to set the flash to manual to ev down the amibient light and the flash power separately.

Or is the system like my canon, where the camera ev dial compensate the ambient light and the flash is still at full power or what every you set it at with a different control
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:15 AM   #2

Hi shoturtle,

As fas as I can tell, the three Ev compensation methods when using an external flash in P-TTL on camera are independent. They can be set independently, and appear to act independently.

The camera's metering system tries to get exposure close to correct for ambient light via shutter speed, aperture, and ISO in any auto mode even when an external flash is mounted and turned on. This can be altered by Ev compensation. This is done via e-dial when the dial is assigned to Ev compensation (there are a number of ways to do this, depending on model)

Flash compensation can be set in the flash menu on the camera (this is also done with the e-dial, but only when in this menu), or on the external flash (via buttons on the flash body) and as far as I can tell, these are independent and can be cumulative. These only adjust the flash's contribution, so will not have an effect on the ambient exposure.

I only did a quick test to confirm this with the K-5 and AF 360FGZ, and assume that the AF540 FGZ would react the same. I won't speculate as to whether any third party flashes work the same way.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote