Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Default First DSLR! Pentax K-5 and some runway action

Okay, I finally decided to take the leap and go DSLR. It didn't take long to decide for the K-5; all the praise about the sensor, the all-weather specs and.. everything else just seemed right.

Coming from the small-sensor bridge cameras, I found myself a bit hesitant to screw up the iso to safe shutterspeeds, but despite some cold shivering hands most results came out just fine. The fast 7fps burst rate with optical viewfinder and seemingly endless buffer was an especially great experience; Missing a moment can't be blamed on the cam anymore

Played some with the DR settings and ended up using full shadow and highlight compensation. Initially I boosted the exposure compensation a bit to high, but than dropped it slightly too low, so I tweaked the levels in PS a bit (apart from the last two)

Happy Shooting! GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:21 PM   #2

Congrats! I'd certainly love to have a K-5 as well! Now get ready for LBA and all the filters and whatnot! Welcome, fellow Pentaxian. I look forward to more shots from you!
Eddie OM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:44 PM   #3

Welcome, looks like a wet morning at schiphol, I like the spray off the engines and the condensation above the wings, I landed there many times, sorry I didn't have much time to spend in the Netherlands, just one short visit to Amsterdam and that was before my Pentax

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:02 PM   #4
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice runway action shots indeed. As mentioned above, the spray on the 3 landing aircraft add a nice touch.

Overall though, these images are rather soft. What lens did you use for this series? I am an aviation photographer myself...PM me and I'd be happy to share some of my experiences outside of this thread.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:06 PM   #5

congrats, you got yourself a very fine dslr for your first one. Enjoy it, the lba can be a bad thing, it gets expensive.
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 23, 2011 at 7:37 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 6:40 PM   #6

Congrats, on your new camera and welcome to our world.

I think you did a really nice job on these for your first try with the DLSR. much better than my first ones. I can guarantee Jehaun can give you some really good tips on on how to improve your technique!
Thanks for sharing.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:33 PM   #7

I'm impressed, especially considering its your first dSLR. Nothing like jumping in at the deep end - there's a significant learning curve to figuring out how to get the best of this camera. But it's not that difficult to get a good result just by letting the camera do most of the work.

Don't be afraid to "push" shadows - it's amazing how much detail there is in the shadows, especially when shooting raw. I tend to leave the camera at Ev -.3 as I think mine tends to blow out the highlights more than I like. I know, I wouldn't have that problem if I'd turn on the highlight protection, but then I'd lose ISO 80, and I LOVE the results from that ISO.

Do watch out for LBA - its contagious and there's no cure. Many people have thrown big-time money trying to cure it, but the best you can hope for (if you catch it) is occasional remission.

In the mean time, enjoy your camera. Don't be afraid to ask questions, there's usually someone around here who has an answer.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:07 AM   #8

Welcome to the forums. Hope you continue to enjoy your camera, and will continue to share your fine photos!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:30 AM   #9

I like the head-on shots the best but #3 is a bit worrying ... looks like birds in the background over the airport.

Congrats on your K5 ... a truly wonderful camera !
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:14 PM   #10

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Looking around on the Pentax dSLR posts I came across some pretty amazing shots! Seems like I have some practicing to do

@ Jelpee: Appreciate the offer; went shooting again today and still had some soft results. Got much better exposures though. Used aperture prio again @ iso800 and an exposure compensation of 1.3 mostly. Dropped the highlight compensation and reduced the shadow comp to +1. Daylight was slightly better than yesterday

Post processing in PS only included horizon leveling, cropping for aspect ratio resize and sharpening.

I was wondering about the image stabilization; I've got the feeling it kicks in when full-pressing the shutter unless the live view is used. Does this mean it's best to leave it off when panning? In short, is it possible that the IS causes blur/softness by kicking in in the midst of panning action?

I'm using the 50-200 F4−5,6 WR lens

LBA.. Yeah I've got a few ideas But I'll open another thread when I'm in need of advice.

used spot meter here

little in-cam post processing

light levels dropped and some underexposure occurred; iso1600. 'cloudy' WB preset no longer produces the warm yellow tone; will experiment some with that later

Happy Shooting! GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote