Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:38 PM   #11
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

You work magic with this lens...as you do with all your gear! The feather detail is exquisite!

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 5:04 PM   #12

These are fantastic, Mole!
You're too modest my friend, You take great photos no matter the subject.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:35 PM   #13

Mole the split image screen is not something to jump into, It requires lots of trial and error adjusting the shims to get the manual focus correct, By the look of your images you don't need one. I was used to one from my 35mm film days, I had several bodies all with split image screens.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 9:14 PM   #14

As always Mole, there are wonderful shots. I was going to ask if these birds were in captivity, as I couldn't imagine that any one, no matter how skilled in tracking, could get so close to owls. You've done a superb job; I'm looking forward to seeing more!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:29 AM   #15

Originally Posted by mole View Post
Biggest problem was holding my left hand (where birds were perching) far enough away from the camera!
I was curious how close you were to the owls. Still, these are really nice shots.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:12 AM   #16

Great Shots! I had been looking at the 50mm 1.4 and was going to hold off... but seeing your pictures has inspired me to go for it. It looks like a great lens. Hopefully I can manage the same level shots. I was also looking at the split image focus screen, but will start a new thread for those questions.
Osnap65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 4:48 PM   #17

Beautiful shots of a beautiful bird. The second is my favorite.

Bob Mevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:40 PM   #18

Lovely shots, I love your owls. Perfect subjects for portraits as far as I'm concerned. The lens seems to be very sharp and you should get a lot of use out of it.

I hate to say it though, but my fast 50's are the least used of all my lenses. I'll use the FA 77 or (now that I have it) the 35 macro before I'll bother with the two M 50's that I have.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:20 AM   #19

Lovely shots, and very well focused!

The 50-55mm focal length range is arguably the best for doing portrait work (though "portrait" is normally assumed to mean head-and-shouders for, er, real people!).

Also, you won't get much sharper lenses than the Pentax 50s, in f1.7, f1.4 and f1.2 form.
pentode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:56 AM   #20

Jehan - Thanks so much! Isn't it amazing how much detail there is, even in just a feather...

GW - Thanks for your kind words. But they are such cute subjects!

Han - Yes, I remember the split image screen on my good-old Argus Cosina (imitation pentax spotmatic). Does this affect the focusing with auto focus lenses?

MtnMan - Glad you liked seeing my "feathered friends," up close. If you are ever in the area, be sure to come by and photograph them yourself!

Tsquare - Hope I did not mislead you with these. Have posted some photos of these critters before, mentioning that they were captives. Should have expressed that more clearly here...

Osnap - So far, have only had a few chances to use the "new" lens, but it sure seems to work well - sharp even wide open, and great color too.

Bob - Thanks so much for your kind words!

Harriet - Glad you liked seeing my friends again! Thanks for the lens input too.

Pentode - Glad you enjoyed these! It does indeed seem to be a fine, sharp lens.
Wait, do you mean these owls are not real people???
Have also used the "new" lens on some real people, but don't like posting people pics without the subject's express permission. Besides, I do a lot better with critters than with humans!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote