Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:07 PM   #11

Great series, Mole.
Really beautiful, as always.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 9:16 PM   #12

Another wonderful series, I sure wish I could go hiking with you! It does remind me that I was going to go explore some lichen I know about, higher up on Mt. Pinos. I'm pretty much over the cold/virus that side-lined me last weekend so I should get busy taking more pictures this weekend. I like both the first and third of your waterfall pictures - the middle one has the little orphaned bit of waterfall in the lower left corner that's a bit awkward. It would look nice/better if you cropped the lower bit out, I think (just my opinion though). As was said above, the color and contrast in it are very nice.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:48 PM   #13

You at the end of the path in number 1 would make a fine challenge shot. What a view.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 6:03 AM   #14

GreenBaron - Glad you enjoyed the waterfall - we are blessed with many in our region (will be posting some more of another one in a few minutes). Indeed the strong light in the mountains is a challenge...

Hans - Thanks for the very helpful feedback! Yes, I do find the tripod a very useful tool - it does tend to slow down the hike, so it stays in the backpack on long strenuous trips, or when photography is not a primary goal of the trip. But it does make for sharper and more carefully-composed pictures... I do have a large, heavy tripod (used mostly for the 135-600mm lens), but take a very small light one along on hikes - not quite as stable, but much more portable.

MtnMan - We had about an inch of snow yesterday morning here at the lower elevations, but it was all melted and gone before noon. Still some snow in the higher places, but already some spring signs too - skunks are seeking mates, chickadees singing spring songs, woodfrogs calling, buds swelling...

GW - Thanks so much!

Harriet - Thanks for the detailed feedback on the little waterfall variations. Will try that crop!
ps - I will be leading a short, easy hike at Roan Mt this Saturday for their winter rally. Will be leading a good long hike at the Spring Rally on Saturday May 7th. And any time you & your family decide to visit East Tennessee, just let me know and we can plan a hike!

Pboerger - Thanks! That is a lovely spot along the Appalachian Trail - quite close to Carver's Gap.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:40 PM   #15

i want to go back to roan mountain again! you've captured it so well!!
Vole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:30 AM   #16

Vole - Thanks so much for your kind words - will be posting a few more Roan Mt pics (from this past weekend) here in a few minutes. Hope you can come back and hike the Roan again soon - maybe at Rhododendron season??
mole is offline   Reply With Quote