Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:33 PM   #11

Great photos, in very harsh conditions. Looks like a great trip. I did a lot of winter camping in my 20s, and 30s, but now in my 50s, I admit that I prefer sitting by the wood stove on a cold winter evening. Having said that, I definitely need to get out to the 'daks. I spend a lot of time in the Vermont's Green Mtns and the White Mtns of NH, but for whatever reason, I very rarely get to the Adirondacks.

The dynamic range of the K5 looks very impressive. Had these shots been taken with my K20D I would definitely have a lot more noise in the shadow areas.

I especially like your nighttime fireside photo, and the one showing the three hikers crossing the stream with the fallen tree.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:47 PM   #12

mtngal - thanks for your comments.... I've learned a lot from your comments to others on the forum. The K5 definitely provides more exposure latitude than any camera I've used in the past. I was surprised what it recorded in the night scene... at high ISOs the camera definitely sees more than I do. The Live View feature is great in low light settings. Still lots more for me to learn about this camera.

mtnman - thanks for your kind comments. I'm in my 50s, too, and renewing my interest in winter camping after a number of years away from it. Loved camping in the winter as a boy scout years ago. But definitely enjoy the modern gear... especially down sleeping bag and parka. No bugs or mud this time of year.

The Green Mtns and White Mtns are very lovely.... been to both briefly in summer and fall, but look forward to a winter trip sometime.
tundraguy is offline   Reply With Quote