Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:19 PM   #1

Default K5 winter performance

Some of the K5s features that convinced me to purchase it were the weather seals and cold weather performance. Last weekend we did a 4 day, 3 night backpacking/snowshoeing trip in the Adirondacks. The K5 performed very well in temps down to 0 F. and blowing snow. I brought a spare battery, but never had to use it. The end of January this year we had a cold spell with temps to -27 F. and the K5 and DA* 16-50 combination did well for several hours at that temp. Pentax rates it down to 14 F, so I was curious to see how it would perform at colder temps.
Here are a few photos from our traverse of the Five Ponds Wilderness area of the Adirondacks. The first night the wind came off the lake and drove the snow directly into the lean-to.
Attached Images

tundraguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:25 PM   #2

Second night was at Little Shallow pond. Decided to stay out of the wind by digging a pit in the snow to sleep in. The night time photo was at ISO 25,600.
Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:35 PM   #3

Third night spent at High Falls on the Oswegatchie river. Then a hike through the woods and across part of Cranberry Lake to the trailhead.
I hope you enjoy this small glimpse of some of our lovely winter scenery in northern NY.
Attached Images

Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:43 PM   #4

While winter and snowshoeing are great fun to me, I'm not about to try camping in the snow. Your 4th picture with the snow blowing into the lean-to looks just too cold/uncomfortable for me. But your pictures are wonderful, thanks for sharing your trip with us. I'm happy to enjoy your hike while comfortably sitting in my nice warm den.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:23 PM   #5

Lovely pictures. The Pentax system does seem to be able to handle cold. I've been using my Pentax DSLR's and Pentax lenses in cold weather since 2007....it's been great.

BTW, northern New York state is beautiful as your pictures indicate.

I like them all, but the picture at night, of the winter campers in the Lean To...I really like.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 1:17 AM   #6

It looks really ......... cold !

Beautiful scenery well captured. I'd try to keep your back-pack out of shots though. I also love the indoor shot with the fire and the shot following it of your outdoor bed !

Maybe for next time numbering the shots would help us comment on individual photos - just a thought. Thanks for sharing - lovely set.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 5:39 AM   #7

Looks like a great trip, and some wonderful photos as well! It's been many years since I've visited the Adirondacks - your great photos brought back some fine memories...

Great job capturing all the action as well as the lovely scenery. Especially nice light on the 2nd one (bit of pink cloud and bit of water). And especially great color in the first one of the last set (fallen log, blue sky...)
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 1:43 AM   #8

Great pictures and sights, looks like your as winter-proof as the camera.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:55 AM   #9

Thank you everyone for your comments. Winter in the north provides high contrast scenes. I find it a challenge to capture outdoor scenes and not lose the detail in the snow and sky.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 2:09 PM   #10

One of the things that's nice about the K5 is how much you can push the shadows before noise becomes an issue. I tend to not worry about the shadows any more (unlike the K7), just expose for not blowing out the highlights and then bring the shadows back with pp. Another thing you can do is exposure bracket and merge to HDR using one of the programs that does that. Usually you can find settings that look natural enough, though it doesn't always work right. I'm doing far less HDR/bracketing with the K5.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote