Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:59 PM   #1
Default K-5 supply interruption?

Supply of the K-5 may be interrupted due to shortage of sensors resulting from earthquake damage to Sony plants.

Sony in particular suffered a lot of damage to its facilities that make sensors that can be found in top-line Nikon and Pentax cameras. The company has suspended operations at five plants in central and southern Japan where digital cameras, camcorders, LCDs and other items are made. Sony says it may shift production of some products and parts overseas temporarily.
This from Mason Resnik's Adorama blog:

And then there was this from an earlier Adorama report:

Hoya Corporation, which owns Pentax, reports that several employees were slightly injured but none seriously. Some production facilities were damaged, although the company is still trying to assess. It isn't known how the camera and lens facilities have been effeccted but due to traffic problems and blackouts, production has been disrupted.
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:35 PM   #2

It will be interesting to see how this will affect prices in the long run. I've been biting my nails to see if this would affect how long it would take to get a replacement K5, but luckily, there's enough that was in the pipeline for CRIS to ship my replacement today (they had received it a week ago, 3/15). And the price of the K5 had been starting its expected "no longer new item" drop in price. Perhaps the price will remain higher than it might otherwise have been because of this. It also could easily mean that the K5 will have a longer production time as I'm sure any replacement camera will be delayed.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:46 PM   #3

Yeah... I was hoping the K-5 body would be down to about $1000 by the end of the year. Of course, that's still a long way off but I suspect that price point might be much further out now.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote