Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:32 PM   #1
Default Yale University Architecture - Plates 1 - 5

Thought I'd follow on my introduction by presenting a little of my work for review, C&C, etc. Thanks for looking...

I have always been a landscape photographer, if I may be allowed the conceit. At least that is what I have aspired to. Back in November, I joined a challenge that stipulated that we were to shoot at least one shot per day (if at all possible) using a single lens for the period of one (1) month.

I joined this challenge not knowing what I was going to do. Very close to the beginning I stumbled upon a scene that comprises the first frame here. I decided at that point to pursue a theme for the challenge, and to try to learn and hone my skills in architectural photography. I work at Yale University and I figured that there was plenty of architecture from which to choose.

The lens I chose was a Pentax SMC-F 28mm f/2.8. This was sort of a handicap in that 28mm is actually relatively close to normal, and I certainly was not going to be taking wides of entire buildings. it forced me to slow down, look for perspectives and points of view, interesting takes on the details of some of these buildings. (Sorry for cross posting from the other forum (Architecure, but I will not post over there anymore).

I'll present the photos taken in that challenge in blocks of five at a time until exhausted, though OI must warn you that I did a similar on in January with a Da15mm...

C&C Welcome. Please let me know if I should adjust size of photos, or if there is anything else I can do to make this work better...

Plate 1 - Visitor's Entrance at Ingalls Rink, Yale University. Designed by architect Eero Saarinen and built between 1953 and 1958. It is commonly referred to as The Whale, due to its appearance. You will see that later... it really does not show here... It seats 3,500 people and has a maximum ceiling height of 23 meters. mbers of the Ingalls family were the primary benefactors of the arena. The building was included on the America's Favorite Architecture list, created in 2007 by the American Institute of Architects.

B&W variation:

Plate 2 - Detail - Kroon Hall - Yale School of Forestry. 68,800 sq ft, completed January 2009. Designed by London-based Hopkins Architects, with local firm Centerbrook Architects & Planners as executive architect, Kroon Hall is Yale’s fourth green building and its most ambitious in sustainable terms. It is designed to use 50 percent less energy than a comparable modern building. This building is Rated by the U.S. Green Building Council as LEED-NC, v.2.2, Platinum (59 points) Level.

K10D with SMC-F 28mm f/2.8 and Circular Polarizer. The polarizer was not effective in removing the reflections. Based on the building's LEED Platinum certification by the U.S. Green Building Council, I am guessing this is due to some special property of that glass. This photo has a lot of elements in common with my shot yesterday.

Plate 3 - Detail of Woolsey Hall Commons Collonade
- Woolsey Hall is the primary auditorium at Yale University and seats 2,695 people. It also houses one of the larger cafeterias on campus. This is just outside the cafeteria. It was built as part of the Yale bicentennial celebration in 1901. The architects were Carrère and Hastings, designers of the New York Public Library.

Plate 4 - Detail of Beineke Rare Books and Manuscripts Library - This building contains the rare books and literary manuscripts of Yale University. One of the largest buildings in the world devoted entirely to rare books and manuscripts, the library has room in the central tower for 180,000 volumes and in the underground book stacks for over 600,000 volumes; it now contains about 500,000 volumes and several million manuscripts.

The building is constructed of Vermont marble and granite, bronze and glass, was designed by Gordon Bunshaft, of the firm of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill. Work began on the building in 1960 and was completed in 1963.

The white, gray-veined marble panes of the exterior are one and one-quarter inches thick and are framed by shaped light gray Vermont Woodbury granite. These marble panels allow light to enter the interior of the building, but filter it such that rare materials can be displayed without damage.

This detail of course only hints at what this looks like. I'll post a wider shot in the outtakes if anyone is interested. The footing is fascinating. The building is literally up on four of these granite footings, and each is carved from single blocks of the same granite that makes up the floor of the square.

Here the recent rain is still wetting the granite and adds a some texture and interest overall to the shot. I intentionally set the polarize to maximize the reflection. The continuation of the wall and hedges in the reflection together with the reflection of the other footing adds interest for me. The day was slightly sunny, so the shadows are very soft save for the primary shadow cast by the lower sill and to some extent the footing. Overall, one of my favorite compositions thus far, and strongly tied in with the glass/shadow/light/receding walkway theme started with the first two in this series.

Plate 5 - Detail of Malone Center
- Yale School of Engineering & Applied Science. Architect: Cesar Pelli & Associates, Cesar Pelli (1926 - , D.F.A., Honorary, 2008). The design is sustainable (it earned LEED-gold certification) and social, encouraging interaction among scientists.

seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:37 PM   #2

I'm not a building guy, but that is impressive work. The last shot is spectacular. HDR?
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:57 PM   #3

Hi seaain,

An excellent series!!!

I really like this. There are a lot of places that I'll never see, and it's a treat to be taken on a photographic tour and see things through the perspective of someone else's eyes and photographic vision. By giving us some of the history and notes of interest, it also becomes and educational tour for those who like some background to go along with the images.

I like seeing other's perspectives because my brain seems to process my sight data differently than many. I tend to see the vista, but only really look at the individual elements. I'll stop to look at a clearing in the woods with a bunch of friends, but am usually the first to see the deer, 100 yards away, barely visible behind some tall weeds. I think that's why I've always been primarily a telephoto shooter, and recently have been fascinated by macros.

The only criticism I can offer is that the exif isn't available in the first four. There are times that I like to get an idea of what the photographer was thinking when he/she set up to take the shot, and the exif sometimes gives some surprising clues.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 7:31 AM   #4

Thanks for looking... and for you kind comments. The exif tends to get stripped off as the result of some of the software I was using for post processing. I have tried reimporting it but have never been successful. This was true of most of this series.

I will take it upon myself to try to find something that will either not remove exif or which will allow me to get it back in.

More to come.

Thanks again.

Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:05 PM   #5

Thought I had responded to this thread before, but now realize I got distracted by looking up Pelli's other work. In any case, I really like these - I like architecture photographs, but find it hard to make them interesting. These are very neat, and it's fascinating to see how different Yale is compared to either UCLA or USC. I'd love to see how much light the marble lets in - bet it's wonderful.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2011, 9:25 PM   #6

Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Thought I had responded to this thread before, but now realize I got distracted by looking up Pelli's other work. In any case, I really like these - I like architecture photographs, but find it hard to make them interesting. These are very neat, and it's fascinating to see how different Yale is compared to either UCLA or USC. I'd love to see how much light the marble lets in - bet it's wonderful.
mtngal... I am a graduate of two programs at UCLA. I was not shooting in those days.

I will post photos eventually that show the light through the marble. Got that in my very last set with the DA15mm