Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 26, 2011, 7:35 AM   #1
Default Yale University Architecture - Plates 11 - 15

Now remember, these were taken back to back, day by day, which is something very hard to sustain. I am not blowing my own horn, I am setting up to get you all interested in a "Single in" challenge... it really is fun...

Plate 11 - Detail - Courtyard, Yale Health Plan. Lousy overcast/rainy day. Nothing was working. Stumbled upon a tiny little courtyard that had some interesting shadows and light, reflections and transparencies. This one I need to revisit and shoot with better light. The windows have some kind of odd coating on them that shows up here... it's not noise. 1/25th, f/7.1 @ ISO 800

Plate 12 - Detail - Yale Divinity School Quadrangle. This is a descending walk that repeats galleries and colonnades, with steps between that descend towards the street. Quite lovely. I shot low and placed the arch high to give a sense of headroom, which is present in this space, and to draw the eye up to the detail of the round "window" at the end of the colonnade beyond. This is a return to an earlier theme of receding, repeating elements, and while it lacks strong shadows and glass, the introduction of the round "window" and arches ties in nicely with some of the elements in other photos in this series, and the colonnade echos another...

Plate 13 - Detail - 221 Whitney Parking Garage. It is a garage. I worked at the adjoining building for ten (10) years. Dad was a photojournalist. he used to say... find something that you look at every day and which is common to you. Then try to make an interesting photograph of it. This one is for Dad.

Plate 14 - Ingalls Rink, Yale University, built 1958. This is actually the back of the building, though the front is similar. It is also the main building to which Plate 1 in the series (entitled Visitor's Entrance) pertains.

The following was a test shot... taken the same day as the parking garage above as a scouting exercise.

Based on the above scouting shot I decided that this would be my subject for the next day... and that I'd do a B&W conversion...

Plate 15 - Detail - Sterling Memorial Library - skylight over stairwell leading to Bass (underground) Library. A desperate day where nothing was working. I found this little architectural element and fell in love with it. It has a circular stairwell wrapping around the central stonework. This does not do it justice, but I like the finish on this, and I had to submit something that day. Part of the discipline are the misses. Look at the little misses, they help you.

More later
seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:24 AM   #2

Some masterful shots in all these series - very effective use of light & line, very precise planning. Thanks for sharing!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:28 AM   #3

yes, wonderful images, I really like "Plate 14" and " Plate 11"
Shooting with a:
Sony NEX F3
Sony 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 OSS
SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 (manual)
"unknown" 35mm/f1.8 (manual)
CyberTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 3:10 PM   #4

More interesting shots. Thanks for posting what you were thinking as you took the shots, it gives me lots of things to think about. Interesting reflections in the first one, I like the sky better in the b&w version of the rink (neat lines!). Like your parking garage - they are such useful places, gives you a high spot for shooting from and often they have interesting lines.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:34 PM   #5

I've been away for a few weeks, and I'm sorry to say I missed your previous entries. these photos are all fascinating, now I'm going to have to dig deeper into this bulletin board for the items you posted earlier.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 5:03 AM   #6

Stunning, I love number 5!
Pentax K-7
Tamron 90mm SP Di Macro
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote