Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:40 AM   #1
Default Yale University Architecture - Plates 16 - 20

Plate 16 - Detail - Beineke Rare Book and manuscript Library. This photo shows the inside of the Beineke library. This is the building I previously shot that has marble inserts in granite frames. Here you can see the light shining through the walls. The ceiling echos the walls somewhat, and the central glass core is partially captured to the right. This central core is climate controlled and houses the books and manuscripts. I was intrigued by the reflection of the book stacks in the windows of the core (lower right). They seem also to echo the pattern of the walls. Again strong receding lines.

Frankly, nothing much was working for me in this building, and this was the best I could get. It is very expansive, and pretty dark, so I struggled with getting sharp photos without excessive noise. Because of the size of the place and the expansiveness I was wanting a wider lens, and did not do a good job using the 28mm in this setting. I'll probably make another attempt.
(I did eventually make another attempt with the DA15mm. In that shot, the marble and its light transmitting properties were much better represented. I will post that shot eventually).

Plate 17 - Detail - Yale Center for British Art stairwell, Louis I. Kahn, 1974.

You may remember the other stairwell I photographed. This is by the same architect...

The Yale Center for British Art is located literally across the street from Kahn's Yale University Art Gallery (1953) (where the other stairwell resides). The University Art gallery was his first major commission.

The Yale Center for British Art is Kahnís final work and was completed after his death in 1974. It was the first museum in the United States to incorporate retail shops in its design.

What this does not capture well is the fact that, like the earlier staircase, this staircase is built in a round "silo."

Plate 18 - Detail - Stairwell, Yale Center for British Art.

The same space as yesterday's photo. A very complex space, and not easily captured with a single shot at 28mm. This shot shows the circular well within which the stair is constructed.

I am thirty miles from any architecture. For the next couple of days I'll post photos from the Center. It may take that to fully show this space.

Plate 19 - Detail - Stairwell, Yale Center for British Art. Looking up.

Plate 20 - Detail - Stairwell, Yale Center for British Art. Looking up. By the time I got to this part of the series I was beginning to see in a somewhat abstract way. It is just starting to show here I think. Some of the shots in the next series push cleanly over that line.

seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2011, 1:51 PM   #2

Great architectural series, you have a great eye for detail. I believe in an earlier post you mention being told to look for the interest in the things you see every day. Well done.
Riverview, NB, Canada
Current equipment
Pentax K7, K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-PM1, E-PL1, E-P2, E-P5: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 5:34 PM   #3

I love #20, definitely my favorite from this series. I also like 16 and 17, 16 because it's interesting how they've dealt with the physical requirements of maintaining rare books (something that's more specialized than many people realize) and 17 because of the strong graphics.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 7:31 PM   #4

Just viewed the whole series . . . twice! What wonderful work. This is my favorite type of photography, and it was a pleasure to see your compositions, colors, conversions to black and whites, etc. Thank you for posting.

Best regards,
Lawrence Culbertson
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 7:28 AM   #5

Thanks. This was not my best week, but I thought I should show the bad with the good. Mtngal, I like #17 as well based on the graphics. Love the subtle triangle of light that is formed on the wall of the stairwell. This was very subtle and frankly I worked at bringing it up in post without going over the top.
seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 6:20 AM   #6

Another excellent series - amazing what you have done with the lines and textures...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote