Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 29, 2011, 1:06 PM   #11

Great captures perfectly expressing the mood of the day.
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 3:02 PM   #12

Hi mole,

Another fine hike!!! Whew I'm tired now. . .

A few observations -- I never find much of anything to critique in your shots. . .

Between #4 & #5 of the Buckeye tree, I find myself preferring the greater DOF of #5 for this kind of background -- it adds more context to the setting.

Though I always like all of your water fall shots, for some reason, the last in this series is especially appealing to me, even though it's a essentially a different perspective of a previous shot. Can't really say why. . .

Great work. . . again. . .

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 4:44 PM   #13

Our spring is a bit behind yours but hopefully will soon be here. A great series of images and the explanations are an education in themselves.

I am interested as to what lens/lenses you were using. From the Exif data most seem to be focal lengths of 100/105 mm. Do you use a fixed focal length or zoom?

Last edited by bluenose; Mar 30, 2011 at 4:29 AM.
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 8:06 PM   #14

Yes indeed, another fine series from a less than ideal day (even though you proclaimed it to be a perfect day for tramping around the high country). I am especially taken with the first shot; I just love the trail disappearing into the murky forest. it really makes me want to find out what's around the next bend.

I had exactly the same thought as Scott when viewing the two shots of the buckeye tree. The background is blurry enough that the subject stands out very well, but I can still get a very good idea of this tree's habitat.

Some day I must get back down to your neighborhood -- the southern Appalachians are a magical place!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:46 PM   #15

Dr. C - You are too kind! So glad you enjoyed the hike, and hope to see you "out on the trail" someday...

Penolta - Thanks so much!

Scott - Thank you for your very kind words, and for the very helpful input. I took far too many shots of that buckeye (much to the chagrin of the impatient puppies) trying to figure out what was the best DOF, and was not really happy with any of them... It sure is fun to try different perspectives on an old "friend" like this waterfall.

Bluenose - So glad you enjoyed the photos and the words! To answer your question, the 105 lens is a Sigma 105 macro (old non-DG version - much cheaper but works just fine nearly every time). The 100 is Pentax A 35-105 - a great sharp lens with some very interesting characteristics. It's one of my favorite trail lenses...

MtnMan - Thanks so much! That was exactly the mood I was trying to capture in that 1st shot - glad it worked for you. You are right, I am blessed to live in a lovely corner of the Creation. When you head down this way, be sure to let me know!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:11 PM   #16

A wonderful series! Love the way the fog pictures came out. Of the yellow violets, I really like the first one (though all are excellent) simply because it shows just how wet the flowers were. I love rain drops on flowers and leaves. And I always love your waterfall pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 5:37 PM   #17

I agree with Dr. C, Wow, I am back in Michigan and we still have some snow on the ground. Spring is only on the calendar.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2011, 8:58 PM   #18

Originally Posted by Dr. C View Post
Words fail me. All I've got is "WOW!", and even that is not enough.
I agree! The waterfalls in particular are quite nice, with the very last one being my favorite. All are very good. Thanks for the hike!

seaain.gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 2:13 PM   #19

Wow. Amazing. Again I can't pick a favorite. I love the way you so captured the mood of the weather and the day and the trail. It's so hard to get a good image of "mist" like that I think that shows up in all your pictures. Thanks for putting these up. They are beautiful.
BlueSkyHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 8:27 PM   #20

Sorry to be so slow in responding - it's shaping up to be a very busy spring here, not a lot of time to visit the forums...

Harriet - Glad you enjoyed the soggy blooms and full falls. Am planning to head back here soon, on a drier day, to get some good photos of the little mt lake...

Hans - sure do hope & pray you are surviving the cold just fine, and that spring will be there soon!

Seaain - So glad you enjoyed the hike & the falls! Perhaps you will get to see this lush landscape for yourself sometime...

BlueSky - You are too kind! Glad you enjoyed the misty mood. We'll have to check this trail out together someday soon!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote