Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 4, 2011, 9:22 PM   #21

I also like the second HDR best. As usual, you have done an extraordinary job of showcasing the beautiful natural assets in your area. I had always thought the tiger swallowtails were called yellow swallowtails. Is there a similar-looking butterfly called the yellow swallowtail, or am I simply confused?

By the way Mole, I have had my K20 for almost two years now and I still feel like a beginner. Of course, I'm a slow learner and I don't use my camera as often as you do, so I'm confident that you'll have the camera figured out soon.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011, 2:04 AM   #22

Ditto the others - #2 HDR is best as it shows the detail. Love those swallowtails !
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011, 5:33 AM   #23

Ed - You are too fast for me - almost missed your kind words in the midst of too busy posting. Thanks!!

Hans - You are too kind! It is a fine tool, and I am still struggling to learn the details...

Harriet - Thanks for the helpful input on the HDR work. Actually, I accidentally posted a non-HDR shot for #3 - you were quite correct...

Penolta - Thanks so much for all the helpful and specific feedback! Those Painted Trilliums (http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=TRUN) are a favorite of mine - not common, and usually just a few of them at any location, but there were plenty at this particular watershed this time (same location as a number of very rare orchids...) The little neighbor of the Zebras is indeed an Eastern Tailed Blue.

Pboerger - Glad you enjoyed them! I still have mixed feelings about HDR - it does show the dynamic range better, but doesn't look quite natural to me. Will keep working at it...

Macbook - Thanks! Box Turtles sure are patient subjects!!

Mtnman - Thanks so much for your very kind words! Hope you will get to see this beautiful region for yourself someday soon!
To answer your question, I don't know of a butterfly called the yellow swallowtail, although that would be a perfectly good name for Tiger Swallowtails! Of course, they don't care what we call them anyway...

Kevin - So glad you enjoyed them!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote