Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old May 15, 2011, 9:55 PM   #11

I agree about the symmetrical damsels - what a shot! I find the golden club flower background to be a bit too busy for such a delicate subject, prefer the first one where there's not a lot of background texture. Really love the series.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 12:35 AM   #12

Originally Posted by mole View Post
Sure do hope you enjoyed these few views of these amazing little creatures, and that you will share your comments, critique & suggestions!

(Will be gone to a different state park most of this week, helping to train our park system's summer interns. So will probably not be able to stop by until late in the week.)
Wow, never seen that creature before! Beautiful, and great photo... both are are great.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 9:39 AM   #13

Mole the span of your creativity never ceases to amaze me, great shots, keep up the good work,

I agree with Harriett on the golden club flower background.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:

Last edited by hnikesch; May 16, 2011 at 9:41 AM.
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011, 2:07 PM   #14

Holy schmoley that symmetrical lineup of damselflies is incredible!

Weather has taken a turn for the worse here, which has eaten into the time available to go out and shoot them while they are still around, these shots have sated my appetite for now
Pentax K-7
Tamron 90mm SP Di Macro
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 3:11 AM   #15

Wonderful series ! I am constantly amazed at your line up of odonates - I have yet to see even ONE so far this year

Agree with the consensus on the golden club flower bokeh.
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 9:12 PM   #16

Pboerger - Glad you enjoyed the damsel shots- would love to see some images from your lakes! They are indeed fascinating to watch...

Penolta - had never really thought about the flight pattern, but you are quite right - and it probably is an "evasive maneuver..." The "synchronized egg-laying" was just a lucky catch - just being in the right place at the right time.

Harriet - Thanks for the input on the golden clubs. Just trying some variety, and this didn't work too well...

Ned - Glad you enjoyed them! That green moth is a Luna Moth. It was sunning on a brick wall at Camp Creek School - which is currently serving as a shelter for families affected by the tornadoes. The moth was a very welcome visitor for some storm-weary eyes...

Hans - Thanks so much for your kind words. I am in the midst of the training session, have taken a few photos of some nearby natural places, but won't have time to even look at them until the weekend. Hope to be able to post some views of this lovely landscape soon...

Tachikoma - So glad to give you some "vicarious pleasure" in our odonates, and hoping your weather turns around soon! Also glad you liked the "line-up" of aurora damsels. Seems to be a rather frequent behavior pattern for them.

Kevin - Thanks for the golden club feedback - very helpful... We are blessed to be home to many odonates. Official records list 72 species for my home county:
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 5:04 PM   #17

The luna moth is beautiful, and even more so when you tell the story behind it.

And that painted skimmer was well worth the wait to photograph. I can see where it gets its name!
BlueSkyHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 8:26 PM   #18

Thanks for your kind words BlueSky!!
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:21 PM   #19

Out standing shots, Mole!
I was wondering if what lens you were using so, I opened them in photome to see.
I just realized you got a new camera, Congrats my friend!

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:46 PM   #20

GW - Thanks so much! Had to get a new camera, as the good-old K-M fell hard in a creek a few weeks ago. It still sort of works, but flash doesn't work, manual focus switch doesn't work, and sometimes when it gets warm, it just shuts down. Was able to get the K20D at an amazing price, and am still learning to use the new tool...