Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:16 PM   #11

Beautiful pictures! What kind of lenses did you use to get these shots?

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:55 PM   #12

Very nice Mole, you and that new camera seem to be getting along just fine, nice sharp images, love the drops on the Daisies

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:54 PM   #13

Lovely series! I like the Fritillary that shows a bit of both sides of the wings, it's always interesting to see the difference in the sides. As far as the orange sulfur, all of the shots work for me.

Love the daisies though I'd probably try to lighten the white petals a bit - they look a little too grey for my taste (not surprising for such a bright flower).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 5:37 AM   #14

Great butterfly shots again Mole. Love the head on eating shots !

Of the Fritillary I prefer the first shot, I like the angle of the wings and, whilst trying to work out exactly why I preferred #1 to #2, I realised that the head is closer to the lower left cross of the Rule of Thirds whereas #2 is plum centre.
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:20 AM   #15

Terrific photos with great DOF.

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 9:17 AM   #16

Originally Posted by mole View Post
Butterflyweed is well-named! Here is an Orange Sulphur enjoying the abundant nectar...

(any preferences among the different poses?)
Hey mole,
another great series! I think I like #2 of the Orange Sulphur.
Nice DOF and composition.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 11:23 AM   #17

What can I say but yet another fantastic series. I just love the photos of the daisies with the dew on them.

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:01 PM   #18

As others have already said, this is another wonderful series Mole. The orange sulphur seems to be misnamed, as it appears to be green. I sit orange in another stage of its life cycle, or is my monitor really that far off?

I also love the dew-covered daisies.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 4:22 PM   #19

I like the "sunny" black-eyed susans (some of the very first pictures), where the sun seems to hit the center black part just so and make them gleam a little bit.

I really like the Great Fritillary pictures too, and all the dragonflies- they are each so different and you can see them so clearly! And the deer at the end is awesome!! I like the expression on her face. These are great :-)
BlueSkyHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2011, 8:53 PM   #20

Amy - So glad you enjoyed these! Nearly all of these were taken with my sigma lenses - either the Sigma 105 macro or the Sigma 70-300 APO semi-macro. Latter lens is not much good (for me) at distance shots, but is sharp and clear for close-up insect work.

Hans - Thanks so much. Yes, I am slowly learning the new camera...

Harriet - Thanks for the feedback on the butterflies - very helpful! Daisies didn't look grey to me, but my monitor may need adjusting.

Kevin - Thanks for the very helpful comments!

Ed - So glad you liked them!

GW - Thanks so much for taking time to comment - I appreciate your help (and will continue to pray for your complete recovery...)

Keith - Thank you! Glad you liked the wet flowers - we have plenty of foggy dawns giving plenty of chances for wet flower pictures by morning light. Will have to try to find time to visit some more damp fields soon.

MtnMan - Orange sulphurs seem to have a range of colors - the males are usually much brighter and more "orangey" than the females. This was a rather faded female.

BlueSky - Thanks for your very kind and specific comments!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote