Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 8, 2011, 7:54 PM   #11

Another wonderful series Mole. I too am saddened by the mindless picking of that rare lily, but I suspect it was an act of ignorance rather than malevolence. Way back in the 1970s, when I spent a summer working in Mt Rainier National Park, the rangers and naturalists had a terrible time trying to persuade tourists not to pick the rare alpine flowers. In almost every case, the guilty parties said they had no idea they had picked a rare flower. I hope some day to visit Roan Mountain myself, and when I do, I promise not to disturb your delightful vegetation.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:02 PM   #12

Kjell - So glad you enjoyed the trip - if you are ever in Tennessee, I would be honored to take you up on the Roan. Glad you liked the Gray's Lilies (Lilium grayi). I was just up at Holston Mt this morning, where the Turk's Cap Lilies (Lilium superbum) are blooming abundantly - saw several 100 plants in bloom, many with multiple blooms. Will be gone and away from computers - leading some high country hikes in the Smokies - until the weekend, but hope to have some time to post photos of those lilies this weekend or next week...

Tsquare - so glad you enjoyed this hike, and my other wanderings! It does seem that some hikers just don't think, or don't care. We have to do weekly trash pickup on some our finest trails... Hope you continue to enjoy your WA hikes, and will post some photos too!

Mtnman - I suppose you are right, but it is still sometimes a bit frustrating, especially since it's part of my job to educate folks towards better stewardship. There are a number of signs at Carver's Gap about the rare plants in this region, but not everyone reads signs...
PS - be sure to let me know if and when you do come to visit!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote