Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:50 PM   #11

Wohoo - I enjoyed browsing through this series - #3,#9,#11,#12 are my favourites, although the others aren't too far behind.

I agree with mole: post more if possible!

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 5:44 PM   #12

Looking at the panorama of your camp, how did you find a place without rocks to sleep.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:37 PM   #13

Awesome, stunning photos. I have long dreamed of trekking in the Himalaya and Karakorum. (Many years ago I dreamed of climbing those mountains, but now, trekking will suffice!) I agree with the others who have asked for more photos!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:52 PM   #14

Wow.. Thank you all so much for the wonderful comments : )

It was a great place to visit indeed and ranks amongst the harshest, most desolate locations I've been. The 'feel' doesn't differ a whole lot from the sand desert I visited later on the border of Dubai / Saudi Arabia / Oman

Besides enjoying the hike, I thought of it as test too, to see if I'd be fit for the 'real deal': getting up the tall mountains instead of staying in between. It proved a proper test, including some initial altitude and digestion issues. But whatever state you're in, when arriving at camp you'll first have to find a reasonably level spot and remove the rocks before you can raise the tent. The mental aspect can be as much a challenge as the physical.
I'm glad you like the starry sky as much as I do; I have dreamed of this shot for 2,5 years, and it could in fact be the cause of going dslr in the first place.. Bulb and the K5 sensor is king! And then I quite nearly ruined it. Can you believe it? Do not insert an SDXC card in that body! LOL -you may click this text to watch the initial inspiration for this hike / starry-sky project

I got the 10-17 DA for 'gap-less' flexibility with the other lenses I brought along, but I never really utilized the zoom feature. Nor did I use the 55-200 WR a lot; like maybe a few times on the whole trek. Getting the sigma 17-50 f2.8 proved a brilliant choice though; I've enjoyed using it a lot. Some of the guys brought the 18-2xx super-zooms along. It reminded me of my pre-dslr days when I was using the long-zoom bridge camera's. I recall enjoying the large zooming flexibility a lot. Using the dslr without bringing sensor-cleaning goods into a dusty environment wasn't the best choice.. So one of the lessons photography-wise would be to substitute the 55-200 for an 18-2xx something super zoom, and the 10-17 DA for a faster, less prone to CA / vignetting diagonal fisheye prime. And obviously a sensor cleaning kit! Still learning ; ) Any suggestions in regard to lens selection are welcome.

Well then, upon request a few more. I shot another lot with my phone, especially in the city; I'll post a link here to these when they're online.

13 Mountain Rose at the base of the Biafo Glacier, day one of the big hike

14 Lone tree reflects the harsh conditions in this place; HDR; Taken at same location as #4

15 For illustration purposes: The making off -photographed by our guide

16 The ice is hungry.. Watch your step!

17 It's all ice and a thin layer of crumbly rock

18 Avalanche! One of the many we've seen and heard. The vast scale of the landscape allowed safe distance from these; But the days when we'd start before dawn and their roar would fill the valley in the pitch dark.. was pure magic

1200px crop on the vertical and resized

19 The 7821m Masherbrum. This is K1 (not mt Everest). Graduated contrast & vibrance punch in adobe c raw

20 The Broad Peak basecamp, with the 7665m Chogolisa in the background.

21 For illustration purposes: Your photographer (orange hat) climbing the 5610m Gondogoro La pass, the high-point of the trek. -photographed by the guide

22 For illustration purposes: the abyss we descended on the other side. This image doesn't include me, nor was it taken by me (I was wearing a small hd action cam on my head to film this part, and behind the photographer of this). You may click this text to view it

23 Laila Peak, the sharp needle in the Hushe valley on the other side of the pass

24 To finish.. a few more from Dubai. While changing planes I got myself an extra day to check out this 'NYC of the east'

Here's the Burj Khalifa, shot with the 10-17 DA @ 10mm. -It’s fun how the fisheye distortion forces you into symmetric shooting, but the lightpole & background seem to break it fair enough-

25 Building behind the Dubai fountain
Happy Shooting! GB

Last edited by greenbaron; Aug 30, 2011 at 8:29 PM.
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:13 PM   #15

Wow! This series is as top-notch as the first part of this thread. Love the bristle cone pine (at least that's what I think it is, isn't it?). And that looks like some serious mountaineering. Amazing how the camp is on the ice, love how you show the thin rock covering over the ice, what difficult terrain (thinking of crevasses). Thanks for posting these, what an awesome location.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:22 PM   #16

Yes, thanks so much for giving us more great views of this wonderful trip - and so well photographed too!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 12:00 PM   #17

Magnificent shots - some of the most exciting and vivid I've seen in a long time !

Difficult to pick a favourite but #17 it is, however 18 to 23 are all just wonderful too.

Now I need to go there too !!
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2011, 1:32 PM   #18

Stunning photography - up with the best of National Geographic. Most fortunate to have recovered your Milky Way shot - I can't get it out of my mind!
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2011, 10:06 PM   #19

Wow! I looked at this thread on my phone this morning and was amazed. But, looking at them now on my computer monitor.... I'm speechless. These are amazing!

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote