Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 26, 2011, 1:30 AM   #11

Superb documentary of the emergence of the Cicada - I really enjoyed viewing those shots. 7 years underground !! I hear them in my garden all the time but can never find the little blighters !

The last shot of the Tawny Emperor is wonderful !

The Flag tailed Spinyleg - the 3rd shot (merged) shows some artifacts but is nevertheless more than acceptable as a record of the creature.
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 5:04 PM   #12

All are wonderful! I like the stacked pictures. Question on the Sabatia - the first picture shows some CA - was that the one with the extension tube? I'd be surprised if the Sigma lens would have that much CA on its own. Very cool series!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:19 PM   #13

Kevin - There are a number of different Cicada species - some on 13 or 17 year cycles (Periodic Cicadas), some on much shorter (7 years or less) cycles (Annual Cicadas). There are annual cicadas emerging every year, because the groups overlap and are not synchronized. But the Periodic Cicadas only show up once very 13 or 17 years at any one location...
That last shot was my favorite too.
Thanks for pointing out the artifacts - will have to try re-doing that one.

Harriet - You are correct, the first shot was with A 35-105 plus extension tubes. It has some CA tendencies at areas of very high contrast, especially when wide open or nearly so.

Last edited by mole; Aug 28, 2011 at 5:07 PM.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:01 AM   #14

Beautiful set! Mole, what body, and lenses are you using? You images are really superb!
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:43 PM   #15

Another great series, mole! Thanks for sharing these.

I like #2 (the first butterfly image) and can second your findings about position and light. For a long time I thought the camera was doing different WB or choosed some other mystical settings I hadn't discovered, but now I know, that even a series of photos taken at nearly the same time can give very different colors on the same subject. It still surprises me at times, though

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:45 PM   #16

Fantastic photos Mole. The cicada series is astonishing.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:12 PM   #17

Amazing series!

I'm going to have to show my daughters the cicada emergence. We came across the old skin of one, but I have to show them what came out of it.

That moth? on your finger is pretty cool too!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 2:37 PM   #18

Originally Posted by mole View Post
Will continue to work the woods and fields of the park in the coming weeks. Sure hope your late-season rambles are also rich in discovery. And thanks in advance for your comments & suggestions!

This is awesome! What a great capture! Well done Mole!
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:02 PM   #19

G'day mole

a big "100%" Thanks for sharing a wonderful insight into your world
I find the images very, very agreeable to my eyes
Beautifully sharp and all 'keepers'

Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:31 PM   #20

Tony - Glad you enjoyed them! All were taken with K20D. Lenses used include: Sigma 105 macro (most of these taken with this one), Sigma 70-300 APO "macro" (used on most of the dragonfly shots), Pentax A 70-210, and Pentax A 35-105.

Th - It is indeed fun to watch how the light changes so much in an image (and in the reality too!)

MtnMan - Thanks so much! Creation sure is full of astonishing discoveries!!

Glen - Hope your daughter enjoyed seeing the Cicada emerging. They usually emerge during the early morning (pre-dawn) hours - this one must have been sleeping late! Critter on the finger was a butterfly (Tawny Emperor) - most butterflies have little knobs on the ends of their antennas, while moths have either feathery antennas or just threadlike with no knobs.

Ned - Thanks for your kind words!

Phil - So glad you enjoy these little scenes from the hills of East Tennessee! Hope you get to visit someday (and take even better photos!).
mole is offline   Reply With Quote