Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:42 AM   #1
Default Hope Ricoh boosts the brand

Hi all, I really hope Ricoh boost the Pentax brand. I have a K5, and it has to be the best DSLR out there. I have lived in Orlando now for 22 years. My wife works at Disney World so needless to say I've been there a lot in the past 22 years. Almost everytime I go I'm checking out other people's cameras, and to this day after 22 years of looking I have seen just one other Pentax person. That just happened yesterday. A guy was shooting with a litlle Optio. That's it in 22 years! Now this is one of the most popular tourist destinations on earth, so one would expect to see quite a few of any brand camera, and I'm actually looking. Just what kind of market share does Pentax have? Like I say hopefully Ricoh will change this.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:07 AM   #2

I have seen published figures of around 1.5% market share. This is not surprising
because Pentax is a minor player in the compact P&S market.

No doubt, even the mighty Canon and Nikon fade into insignificance
compared to the phone and tablet makers like Samsung and Apple.

I'm sure that Pentax would have a bigger share if only DSLRs were considered.

I notice that Pentax are very well represented on the DSLR section of these forums. 125,682 posts -
far more than any other brand.
corkpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:13 AM   #3

Any boost is welcome, although I don't think they'll push the two big ones from their leading places.
At least the Pentax 645D made professional camera of the year at the EISA awards.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:55 PM   #4

In the last week I have seen three Pentax cameras at highschool track meets besides mine. Two were Kx White, one red. Two men one women owners.

Food for thought having been to Disneyworld on two occasions there is no way I would bring my big Pentax (unless I lived here and had a pass). When I am at those places I like the small handhelds. To focused on waiting in line for rides .

But that is just me.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote