Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:48 PM   #1
Default Some unusual Mallards juveniles. . .

Hi All,

When I was shooting what are probably about the last of the swan juveniles (they'll soon be taken back for the winter by the company that rents them to our complex), I spotted a couple of odd young Mallard Ducks. Both the male and the female have large white areas on the neck and breast, and the female has a white patch only on one wing. I'd seen them before, when they were small ducklings, but there had been three odd ones then, so one must have not survived. The rest of the 7 hatch mates were colored normally.

The males are still changing color, and the head is mostly almost black at this point. Normally there is a narrow white ring around the lower neck.

Females are normally all mottled brown.

Pretty cool -- of the thousands of Mallards I've seen, these are the only two that I've seen that were significantly different. It'll be interesting to see if they return to this area next year -- These will be easy to spot!

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:16 PM   #2

Looks as thought there Mom got goosed.
A77, 28-75mm f/2.8, 16-50mm f2.8, 18-250mm f3.5, 70-300mm f4.5G SSM
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 9:46 PM   #3

The female is really interesting - but it looks like they aren't all mallard. Maybe another duck got in there somewhere along the line.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:01 PM   #4

Some of the "mallards" at the home park look a lot like these - probably some cross-breeding with escaped/naturalized farm ducks.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote