Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:16 PM   #1
Default Just wondering

For those who also shot in film for years, what do you think (aside from costs) is the greatest benefit of digital SLR has over film, and is there anything film still owns?
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:33 PM   #2
Default this is not comprehensive by any means

1. Immediate feedback. That's a huge plus.
  2. Not having to swap out slower/faster film for lighting conditions, etc.
  3. Excellent DR in current generation of sensors.

1. Large format and MF are still very, very good for large prints and the gap is getting smaller.
  2. Alternative processing.
I will get some MF equipment, simply for artistic-specific endeavors, although I can do relatively well with digital. Now that I have the K-5, it's another avenue to pursue via digital. However, #2 in film has a uniqueness that's harder to replicate certain types in digital.

Marc Langille Photography | Photography Workshops | PPG

“The camera is only a tool: the image is the product of your mind and vision.”
Marc Langille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:20 PM   #3

Film negatives, properly stored, will last forever. On the other hand, if the developers and fixers are ever discontinued, then that will mark the demise of film. We are in the beginnings of the digital imagery age, so the future looks really good, and all the pre-concieved fears about file format standardization and image storage are being dealt with by the free markets. As it should be,

I agree with Marc, and especially his first point, instant feedback. Not having to wait at least an hour to have film developed and printed, at a location you have to drive to.
Always use tasteful words - you may have to eat them.
You cannot find knowledge by rearranging your ignorance.

My Flickr

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:35 PM   #4

Hi Bowenp,

I'm purely digital. At my level, and for my purposes, there's no need for large prints, and there's really no advantage to me in film. I still have a very nice (actually pretty beat up, but perfectly functional) Original Canon F1 and a little Minox EL 35, but they only come out of the closet about once a year to remind me of the "good old days", then go back to sleep until the next time. . . I still have an Omega enlarger and all the darkroom stuff, but it stays stored in another closet. . .

I occasionally get nostalgic for the darkroom smells and the process, but I actually enjoy the digital darkroom more.

If it wasn't for digital, I would probably not have gotten back into photography.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:28 PM   #5

In addition to what Marc said - an advantage to digital for the casual/amateur photographer is having better control over the finished product. I never tried developing my own film and discovered the hard way what a difference the developer makes with print film. I once had a picture that was printed by a good lab and loved it. Took the negative in to a 1-hour photo place for some additional prints - the results were lousy. I enjoy playing around in the digital darkroom, so haven't even taken my film camera out (I have a basic Pentax slr) since I bought my DS.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote