Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:50 AM   #1
Default Iguazu Falls

A long absence explained.

We barely made it out of Boston last February to begin our South America adventure as a severe snow storm hit about 1 hour prior to take off. Our plane was de-Iced and then the runway at Logan shut down while it was plowed and treated. We then were de-iced a second time and after spending 3.5 hours on the ground we took off for Miami. After our departure Logan closed for two days.

I became ill on the third day of the Pre tour at Iguazu Falls when we were thoroughly drenched in a boat ride under the falls (about 7 weeks later 4 tourists were killed when their boat capsized taking the same boat ride under the falls). We then were taken on a jungle tour in an open top truck and it began to torrentially rain. Being soaking wet to my skin for a couple of hours and then going from 100 degrees F and 99 percent humidity into an air conditioned bus was all it took to put me over the top.(My wife remained well untill we got home).

Once at sea I visited the ships infirmary and did get a little relief but my hearing was lost in one ear and it remained that way the whole trip.

Our trip to Machu Picchu was also a never to be forgotten adventure. We sat on a train in Ollantaytambo, Peru for 4 hours and then were told that there had been flooding and a landslide and the trip was canceled. The tour company did a remarkable job of recovering the day. While having dinner at 10:00 PM we were told that the landslide had been cleared and the track fixed and that the weather report was more favorable and we would go to Machu Picchu the next day for a 4 ˝ hour tour.

I was sick for 5-1/2 weeks and in the end had lost hearing in both ears. Happy to say that the virus finally ran its course and my health and hearing were restored. All in all despite the health problems, the trip was fantastic and we would do it again in a heartbeat.

Upon returning home I went to load my pictures onto my 9 year old desktop PC for editing only to find all its USB ports to be non-functional. After a week and a half of setting up my new PC and installing PS5 and learning to use the software, I got back to taking and editing pictures again.

Everything since returning has been a giant blur. Camera and bird club activities have taken over my life and I have not had time to do anything but occasionally get on Steve’s to have a quick look at what is going on.

One of the nicest things that happened to me on the trip was that I got to meet Ed Mathis (Snooked). We had a great time together shooting birds at Wakodahatchee and Green Kay Wetlands in Florida. Ed is an inspiration to any bird photographer and a fine gentleman.

I have taken more photographs this year than I ever dreamed possible. My life with the K7 has come together nicely. I have learned to get the most from this camera. My K100 is now a dedicated Macro shooter and I leave my homemade macro flash attachment and 105mm Viv series 1 lens on it permanently.

Enough chatter, here are some pictures from Iguazu Falls:
All pictures taken with K7 and either the Tamron 18-250 or the Sigma 10-20

The Iguazu River flows from the coastal mountains of Brazil into the Parana River that flows between Brazil and Paraguay and empties into the Atlantic Ocean near Buenos Aries. The Iguazu River forms the border between Brazil, Argentina.

The falls are 1.7 miles long and the edge is divided by islands of land into 275 separate waterfalls. In some places there are 3 levels of falls.
Approximately ˝ of the rivers water flows into a cataract called “The Devils Throat” (no pictures of it as it was raining too hard and the falls mist was too heavy).

Mariposa 88/The 88 Buterfly (Diaethria clymena)

I hope you have enjoyed Iguazu and I am glad to be back posting.

Last edited by Keltech; Nov 8, 2011 at 8:29 AM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2011, 3:53 PM   #2

Some falls, those falls! That's where they shot some of the key scenes in the movie "The Mission" featuring Robert de Niro, Jeremy Irons and some other superestrellas. A movie well worth watching.
In spite of all your misfortunes, it sounds like you really made the trip of your life! I'd love to see those places myself, but in the mean time I'd love to see more of your pictures from the trip.

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:14 PM   #3
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice to hear from you Lou..was wondering where you were! Wow, you've had some adventure...albiet a bit unpleasant with the illness and all. Glad you're back on your feet.

That is some waterfall...and one that you have captured in a manner that shows the vastness and power contained within it! Love the image with the rainbow. Great series...now that's one more place for me to add to my list of spots to visit!

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:03 PM   #4

Welcome back Lou. So glad you've returned, and that you have recovered from your maladies. These photos are amazing; I have wanted to see South America for many years; your photos are strengthening my desire to book a trip!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:36 PM   #5

That's some sort of waterfalls - outstanding!! Would love to visit them, but it's not likely any time soon.

Glad to hear you are doing better and that you enjoyed the trip in spite of being sick.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:41 AM   #6

Great photos, looks like an inspiring landscape opportunity. Love the rainbows forming in the mist.

snooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:41 PM   #7

Beautiful photos, Lou!
Sorry to hear about all your misfortune but, I think I'd be willing to go through it too just for the chance to to see all that beauty first hand. Glad you're felling better now.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:37 PM   #8

They look even better the second time around. Glad to see you finally got to posting them here for all to enjoy. Some nice images for MVCC competitions. And, so glad that you are finally feeling better. I felt so bad when you had returned, yet again, from a trip, sick.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2011, 12:25 PM   #9

Hi Lou,

Welcome back! I've not been very active on the forum lately, but nonetheless had noticed your absence and wondered about you. I'm very glad that you have recovered from this trip. Sounds pretty ******ing, but it had to be spectacular if you could suffer to that extent and still be glowingly positive about the experience. I think that the pics easily reflect this. . . some very nice work!

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:58 AM   #10

Scott, thanks for the welcome back.

Yes in spite of it all the trip covered a lot of territory and was packed with exciting experiences. For 75% of the trip the weather was spectacular albit hot (Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina). The days at the bottom of S. America it was cold and windy (Falkland Islands, Cape Horne, Ushuaia and the Chilean fiords).

Only when we got to Peru did we get rain and then mostly when traveling to Urubamba and Machu Picchu.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote