Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:34 PM   #1
Default November 2011 Monthly Challenge: Bokeh

Thank you for all the votes for last month's challenge. It was a fun one. And, now that I know how to do that watercolor one, I'll have to play around with that.

But, for now, on to the newest challenge for us. I've hemmed and hawed on three different topics - sunsets, churches or bokeh. Figuring that all three are things anyone could do. And, find it funny that two of those topics had photos posted today. But, I've decided bokeh will be this month's challenge. I know I really need to start paying more attention to what my entire image is going to look like, not just whatever I'm focusing on.

For those that don't know what bokeh is you can check out The Luminous Landscape - http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/bokeh.shtml or the wikipedia site for a good explanation - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh
Any amount of the image may have bokeh. Be creative.

As usual, photos to be taken with Pentax or Samsung within the past 90 days. Although, hopefully you'll go out and take something new.

Have fun. Let's see how creative we can be.

Last edited by nhmom; Nov 7, 2011 at 7:40 PM.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:09 PM   #2
Default Defending the Queen

As soon as I read the challenge, I knew exactly what I wanted to try. Took about 50 shots with different lenses from various angles and settled this one. Kx, Pentax 50mm f.1.4.
Attached Images
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 4:17 AM   #3

A shot from some days back.

K-5 + Sigma 105mm / 1/250s / f2.8 / ISO 280 / Focal Length: 105

Hope to get out to get some other/maybe better shots, now I'm redecorating and that takes about 110% of my free time.

rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:54 PM   #4

I will post this one to hold my place, and i'll try and see what else I can come up with this month.

Last edited by Keltech; Nov 10, 2011 at 6:41 AM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:50 PM   #5

I had no idea what I would do for this month's challenge, when I suddenly noticed that the sun had broken through some fairly thick clouds, and my blueberry bushes, which are just about the only things left with colorful foliage, were in fairly nice light. With the old stone wall and brown leaves in the background, I thought it just might work. I may change it later in the month, but for now at least, this is my entry. Pentax K20 with FA 50mm lens at f/1.4.
Attached Images
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:03 AM   #6

How about this one???

Name:  bh1.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  71.2 KB

FZ40 & FinePix J27,28,29
UJEFROCNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 8:40 PM   #7

Thanks for a great topic. Somehow my 200mm is not with me which even at F4 still gives a cream yummy bokeh. This was done in 2008

I hope I should be able shoot this month either with my F50mm 1.7 or FA135mm for the topic

Daniel, TO
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2011, 4:28 PM   #8
Default Here's mine

Hi All, this was shot hand held with my K7, and 55-300 DA lens. Didn't see "the past 90 days" thing. Ignore this one.
Attached Images

Last edited by tony3dd; Nov 13, 2011 at 7:25 AM.
tony3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 8:31 AM   #9

I am not sure of how bokeh is rated..what is nice and what isn't...I only learned term last year..lol..here is one that I liked because of the abstract colours in the background.I will submit it for now as there is lots left of the month to go and try for something more recent..
Attached Images
kashka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 5:48 PM   #10

Great idea for the contest Patty, and already some excellent and diverse entries.

Here's one of my favorite recent "bokeh" shots - some Hornbeam seeds with an autumnal background. Taken with the Pentax A 70-210.
Attached Images
mole is offline   Reply With Quote