Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 4, 2011, 4:13 PM   #1
Default Bird Rehab Center

Just got back from a fast trip to St. Pete Beach, FL for a teachers conference. Not many daylight hours for photography, but I did get a chance to do a few things. I just took the K-5 with a Pentax 18-135 WR as a walk-around and the Tamron 70-300 for what longer work I did.

One of the more interesting places we did visit was the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary, an avian hospital which treats more than 8000 injured wild birds a year. Many of the birds have become permanent residents of the facility because of injuries that make them unable to fly. However, many of the hundreds of birds around the facility are wild neighbors, and perhaps former patients, who have learned the Sanctuary is a good place for a meal. Particularly evident were black-crowned night herons.

The last was an angry juvenile who was demanding an adult pay attention and feed it. Other herons and egrets were everywhere.

There were several I had never photographed, including this wood stork and white ibis, both of which were wild birds hanging around the sanctuary.

Many of the rescue birds were hard to photograph because of the tight mesh used on their enclosures, but I did like this sandhill crane

Shots were late in the day as light was beginning to fade, so lighting on shots was somewhat inconsistent.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:48 PM   #2

These are real nice, Paul. And, some amazing birds there that I never see around up here.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:09 PM   #3

Paul, wonderful pictures. The first and third are my favorites showing nice sharp detail and fine color.

After getting my K-5 last Thursday and playing around with it I realize why everyone is so happy with the camera. Tomorrow if the weather is good I intend to try it on some bid shots.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:33 PM   #4

Very nice selection of birds, well done! Sounds like a very neat place to visit, and it looks like you made good use of your time there. I love the night herons, so cute!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:03 AM   #5

Nice shots Paul, looks like a nice place to visit

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:20 PM   #6

Hi Paul,

Very Nice!!!

Sounds like a great place for bird photo ops. Too bad your time was limited. . .

My favorites are 1, 3, 5, and 8.

Nice work.

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:23 PM   #7

What a great assortment of very fine photographs - so glad you had some moments between meetings. Amazing to get that close to the BCH Herons!!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote