Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:45 PM   #11

Love the flying ducks, and the kingfishers, I have only seen Kingfishers at a great distance, way to far for my 300mm. I could tell they were Kingfishers only after zooming in on the image taken with the 70-300mm @300 to 16X on my camera lcd. Hope to get closer one of these days.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:34 AM   #12

Great shot of the Kingfisher. I canít get close enough to these skittish birds to get a good picture, but I'll keep on trying.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 5:27 PM   #13

MtnMan - Thanks! And yes, those are the "fruits" of the Sycamore tree. Each is a small woody receptacle covered with thousands of seeds (& fluff for carrying each seed). Some birds (for example, goldfinches) will eat Sycamore seeds, but most of the seeds stay on the tree through the early winter, until they begin to fly & scatter in the late-winter winds.

John - Thanks so much for the lens information and very helpful suggestions. I hope to someday save enough $$ to purchase a Tokina 400mm or maybe even a Sigms 400mm macro. Your 200-500 is probably similar to my 135-600 - works great, but doesn't fit into the knapsack too well!! I've carried it (on tripod & over the shoulder) down some short trails, but it's not very practical for long or mountainous trails...

Kevin - Thanks so much for the feedback. Those duck shots were just a quick snap with the A*300. My (very scratched) copy sometimes loses contrast when the light is wrong. Will have to work on those photos again...

Harriet - Glad you enjoyed these!

Hans - Kingfishers sure are shy little birds! Not sure why this one individual was a little less shy, and have not spotted him at the same location since... It would probably take a blind, and much more patience than I have, to get really good photos of these fine birds.

Lou - Have you tried approaching them from the water? Wonder if they'd be less shy of a canoe...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote