Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:39 PM   #1
Default Available light...the camera for this job

There are professional photographers I've admired for years.

...American Ansel Adams for his landscapes... Canadian photographer Karsh for his IMO, unsurpassed portraits.

But when it comes to photographers who were masters of available light...it has to be Eisenstadt and Cartier-Bresson. The stuff they did in the early to mid part of the past century, with slow film and Leica Rangefinders and 50 mm lenses...to me was very impressive.

I've just had my Pentax K-5 for a couple of weeks and among it's many strengths is the ability to capture subjects in very low light. The high ISO with little grain is fabulous to me.

I've used my 55-300mm, 50 F 1.4 , 50 Macro F 2.8 and 12-24mm F4 in low light for candid portraits in indoor settings and I just can't get over how well the K-5 handles these situations.

None of these lenses, except the 50 F 1.4 is really a fast lens...but they do very well.

I have a battery grip coming and although I have large hands...the K-5 seems so ergonomically well designed and easy to handle....I'm wondering will I use the grip.

I do have an old Leica Rangefinder and in some respects (small size, robust metal build) I do see some similarities between my old Rangefinder and new DSLR.

Of late I've been thinking...if low light masters like Eisenstadt and Cartier-Bresson were alive today...would their equipment of choice be a K-5 body with a fast Pentax Limited prime ?
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:11 PM   #2

I think they would have gone nuts over digital, but even more would have been Photoshop. These guys, and I also think of Ansel Adams, did with chemicals and other processing on film what we do with ease in computer applications.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote