Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Default Holiday Lights at Garvan Gardens

There are a few photo opportunities that I look forward to every year....the swans in my home town Thanksgiving and Christmas, the school's drama department productions, and the Christmas lights at Garvan Woodland Gardens, the local botanical garden.

The display is truly one of the greatest in the South with more than two million lights, and it grows each year.

Tonight, I went to the gardens with a couple of purposes....to see just how impressive the K-5 was in contrasting total black with very bright. I was impressed. I shot at ISO 6400 for nearly every shot; i could have gotten away with no noise processing, but I could see just a tiny bit of noise in the black/color convergence zones, so I did a one-pass Noiseware filtering.

More impressive about the camera was that I left my glasses in the pickup....so I had no idea on focus and had to let the camera figure that out.....

Second point was to focus on new displays...

No, NBC did not agree to sponsor Garvan Woodland Gardens, but peacocks roaming the grounds became a new attraction in 2011... thus, the light display. Neither of these was a highlight display, but I liked both.

Santa's sleigh was a new addition, but I had some difficulty getting a really good photo angle because of the trees...(It is a botanical garden)

A few other favorites.... some old, some new...but taken tonight with the K-5

Finally, if I had to choose one shot I would put on a Christmas card to all my friends at Steve's.....

Merry Christmas to all my friends at Steve's. I hope this holiday season and the year to come brings you nothing but beautiful memories and beautiful photos.

All shots except the last were with the Pentax 18-135mm.... quickly becoming my most used lens....the last was with the Pentax 10-17 fisheye.

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:51 AM   #2
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

All very nice Paul...nicely done exposures in all. The one of the star (#6) is especially good with a nice contrast of the white star against the black background.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday Season to you and your family as well!

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:20 AM   #3

The peacock is great. The 18-135mm is impressive, too!
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 6:09 PM   #4

Paul, very nice series. I love the mushrooms in particular but all are great!

I have not yet shot night scenes with the k5 but well try to do that soon with all the colorful holiday lights.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:17 PM   #5

Love the shots! You've got to post the last one under the bi-weekly challenge, if you haven't yet, what a great shot!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 2:40 PM   #6

Very impressive work again from the K5 (at 6,400) !

Hope you and yours have a wonderful Xmas Paul.
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:52 PM   #7

You and the camera did a nice job on the images, the contrast is impressive

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:07 PM   #8

Lovely shot, all of them. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be the mushrooms but all are excellent.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote