Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:47 PM   #11

I've never seen frost like that .... I used to live in Austria where it frequently drops to -15C to -20C in mid-Winter however there was still nothing like the frost shown above. Must be because of the humidity / fog ?

I'm not a great fan of smoothed out waterfalls (except sometimes - capricious creature that I am ) and in fact really like the detailed, almost explosion-like, feature of that last shot above. I'm sure some close-ups of it at that shutter-speed may make for interesting viewing.
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:43 AM   #12

Great shots Mole, love all the frosted trees. On the Km you may want to try a real thin shim (from the auto parts shop) maybe .002" between the lens and the camera at the focus screw to prevent it from engaging the lens thus forcing manual focus all the time. Just one little comment on the water falls you straightened to the water flow not the icicles? Great series but I don't miss the cold, you and Michigan can have it even though it makes for some great shots. I'am in Florida for a little while renting a small condo, this retirement stuff isn't all bad.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:42 PM   #13

Kevin - Yes, this kind of frost pattern is most common when there's plenty of humidity and fog or low clouds. By the way, you can tell the prevailing wind direction if you notice that the frost is only on the downwind side of each twig, etc. Sorry you don't enjoy the smooth waterfalls. Will try to get you a few snapshots of some waterfalls at faster shutter speeds...

Hans - Thanks for the great suggestion for the K-M. Might try this, or might try saving up for "official" repair work at CRIS. Thanks also for your comment on the shot of the top of the falls. I was not paying any attention to angles, just trying to get a good shot without sliding down the semi-frozen creekbed! Will have to go back and straighten that shot. Thanks!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:51 AM   #14

Nice series and great shots of the frost, keep it down there in TN however. Yesterday in MA it was 60 degrees F; we have had bare ground since early November.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote