Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jan 17, 2012, 9:04 PM   #11

Originally Posted by mole View Post
One of the big winter attractions at Sill Branch are the waterfalls. Spring is wildflower season here, summer is "critter" season, but cold and damp means full falls.

Some of the trees make for a nice frame at the main falls...

(again, three different perspectives - which do you prefer?)
Like the third one in that there is a more complete view of the falls. Another great series of photos and through them I am certainly learning a lot about your part of Tennessee.

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:56 PM   #12

Thank you for posting those two comparison shots Mole

I still prefer faster shutter speed shots of water. Although in this instance it is only a stream but the shot becomes more interesting, there is more to look at and in large bodies of powerful water that power is felt and demonstrated.

I realise though that I am in the minority here and that most will prefer slow shutter speed shots because, to the majority, they depict an idealised look to water.
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:17 PM   #13

I prefer the widest shot, It's also my favorite of the series, All are great images, looks like things are a little warmer again, no snow. I am on a short DSLR-less business trip to Troino Italy and it's cold and a little snow here, I hope I have few minutes for some shots before I get back to Florida. I am spending most of my time in factories.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:06 PM   #14

MacBook - Thank you for the very helpful input!

Bluenose - Thanks for the very helpful feedback! Glad you are enjoying these little tours of East Tennessee. Hoping to have time to post a few more later this week...

Kevin - Glad you enjoyed the comparison, and thanks for the encouragement to try it. Might encourage me to continue to use a wider range of shutter speeds at future stream flow/waterfall scenes. I agree that most folks (including me) seem to prefer the smoothed-out flow, but the "stop action" speeds certainly give more feeling of power...

Hans - Thanks so much for the feedback! Yes, our lower elevation snow cover rarely lasts more than a few days. But I was up high at Doll Flats this past weekend (photos to come later) and there were still several inches of snow up there. Hope your trip is a safe and productive one, and a safe return to Florida.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:14 AM   #15

Mole, your first set of falls I prefer # 2 as my eye is drawn to all the bramble on the left hand side of #1. That being said if I ignore the distracting bramble I like the scene in #1 as it gives me more falls to look at.

I prefer the right hand photo of the falls framed by the trees. I love this shot!

I also prefer the faster shot of the falls as to my senses if the water is too cottony it looks less like water and just becomes a white blur.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:25 PM   #16

I guess I am once again in the minority. I like photos of flowing water taken with a very long shutter speed. I like the blurry, dreamlike quality it gives.

I'm quite sure the odd shaped rock in the stream found its way into the stream much more recently than most of the others in your photos. It's not nearly as rounded as the others, which suggests that it hasn't been tumbled in the rushing water as much as the others.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:32 PM   #17

Lou - Thanks so much for the very helpful and specific feedback!

MtnMan - I too tend to prefer the "dreamlike" effect of longer shutter speeds, but it is interesting to see what others enjoy...
As for the odd-shaped rock, as always, some excellent geologic observation on your part!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote