Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:27 PM   #1
Default Africa

We came back last Friday and it took a good 3 days to get our time readjusted. My wife Evelyn had to go to the emergency room Thursday afternoon as she had a severe reaction to the Malaria meds we took. She is home now and it will take about 10 days for the meds to run out of her system. It was a frightening event for both of us.

The trip itself was absolutely the best adventure we have been on. We saw the Great Migration, The Big 5 (Lion, Leopard, Cape buffalo, Elephant and Rhino both black and white) and we flew in a hot air balloon over the Maasai Mara.

I have posted 3 photos as teasers and will try and let you see all the areas we visited. It will take some time for me to get the pictures in some semblance of order as I took about 5,000 shots. Many have already been deleted and others are being culled into groups to review.

A word about equipment and shooting conditions. I took two camera bodies the K-7 & K-5. The K-7 had my trusty travel companion the Tamron 18-250 and it was on a neck strap. The K-5 had my Sigma 150-500mm and was held in my hand with a Camdapter strap and cradled in my arm. This set up worked well as I never changed a lens and I never felt the need for more range.

Dust conditions were severe and both cameras and lenses were in need of a heavy cleaning every night. A shower cap was put over the lens of the 150-500 as the lens hood was too deep making it difficult to impossible to remove the lens cap easily. I needed to keep the lens clean and have quick access to it when the need arose and the shower cap was the perfect solution.

All my shots were hand held. In hindsight perhaps I could have used a monopod or beanbag. Weight restrictions kept me from doing this. Most shots were taken with the 150-500mm. My home made BushHawk handle failed on the second day so it was steady yourself as best you could, say a prayer and push the shutter.

We were not allowed out of the safari vehicles so all the shots were from a similar perspective shooting down or across at the subject.

Enough chatter, here are a couple of shots.

Zebras slaking their thirst on the migration. Risky business as Crocodiles were in the water. A dead zebra was floating nearby to testify to that fact.

A three shot panorama of the migration.

A lion settling into the shade of the bush.

Last edited by Keltech; Mar 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM.
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:35 PM   #2

I'm sorry to hear of Evelyn's complications. That does sound scary.

Great teasers you have here. I can't decide which I like the best. They are all wonderul. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:48 PM   #3

What an awesome journey! I once spent a couple weeks outside of Mombasa but as the jaunt was unplanned I only had half a roll on a disposable 35mm camera for the whole trip.

The lion is amazing - their eyes always seem so intelligent.
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:49 PM   #4
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Sorry to hear about your wife Lou...but it sounds like the trip of a life time! Great shots...looks like the Sigma 150-500 served you well! Will look forward to your full series when you have them all edited and sorted. Also,that hot air balloon ride sounds like a winner!

Where to next????

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:26 PM   #5

Lou, I'm very sorry to hear of your wife's illness, but I'm glad she is recovering. I hope she is back to full strength soon. These three teasers are fantastic photos, and I cannot wait to see more. Sounds like a fantastic trip. Africa is on our (ever expanding) list of places to visit, but we will have to wait a while.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 8:18 AM   #6

Wow! Glad your wife is doing well and it wasn't some weird, incurable disease.

Looks like I'm going to have a problem deciding on what lens to buy next - those 150-500 shots are awesome! Show more, these are wonderful!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:28 AM   #7

Wonderful opportunity - it was fortunate (and unusual) that the reaction to the "meds" waited until the trip was over - anaphylaxis is not pleasant to experience, if that is what it was, and very scary. She can't take that antimalarial again, which may limit your future travels to higher latitudes!

Super photos for a start - looking forward to more.
If life brings you lemons, you can make lemonade.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:23 PM   #8

Very sorry to hear about your wife but glad she's on the mend.

What fantastic shots! The zebras drinking is a stunning photo. Mind you so is the pano and so is the lion

Like everyone else, I look forward to seeing more (lots more).

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:58 PM   #9

Great shots, looking forward to some more.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:09 PM   #10

What a trip. Please post more. That was a heck of photographic bundle you took along. Two cameras with two different lenses so you never had to change the glass. Interesting. I also had a bad reaction to anti-malaria medicine when I went to South America. Did not wind up in the hospital, but god it made me sick. Best wishes to your lady.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote