Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 1, 2012, 4:26 PM   #21

Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
I had lost my mojo over the long cold winter and through this process of evaluation I am gaining it back.
I frequently think I've lost mine as I go weeks without taking any photos. My excuse tends to be because I live in hotels Mon - Fri and work long hours so don't get a chance. Of course, that should be don't make a chance!

And then, 2 days into my 5 in Venice I decided that I wasn't up to photography, that most of my photos were rubbish (probably why I seldom post them here ) and that my lenses are rubbish, etc. You could say I was in a slightly negative frame of mind. The answer was obvious, sell my camera (less than 3 month old K-5) and stuff and find a new hobby (or even use the time saved to dedicate to other hobbies). Then my wife, she of the common sense, had a word with me. Made me realise that I really do enjoy taking photos and that not every photo I take will be stunning. So it was back to normal for the rest of the holiday; which, of course, all needs to be reviewed, processed and turned into a jpeg. I am now a covert to PP - I lov ethe fact that a tweak here and there can really make a difference. WHen I first started shooting digitally I was definitely a purist. If I didn't manipulate what was on film, I wasn't going to manipulate the digital image. How times change!

BTW, I am unashamedly one of those who look for the "art shots". It was what I did when I got my first SLR and it's what I've done ever since (excluding when the kids were small and didn't mind having their photos taken). My wife, like me, prefers not to have her photo taken. So I concentrate on my surroundings. I do still take the tourist photos but will also look for the detail. Problem is by the time I get around to the PP I've usually forgotten exactly where I took the bloody thing! Forgetful amateur - and proud!!!

Keithw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:09 PM   #22

Ira, I didn't start with a theme in mind, figured I'd get really bored trying to take and post a macro every day for a year. So my gaol is to take and post one picture a day. So far I almost forgot one day (drove to Vegas and spent the day with family) but thanks to Dan reminding me, I got one. Several days I thought my picture was pretty uninspired, but I didn't regress to posting an old picture for a filler.

Keith - glad your other half talked some sense to you. But I do understand, all of you have heard me grousing when I've been frustrated and discouraged. Often that is a turning point for me - I try something new and take something really good. So hang in there.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote