Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Default A quick trip to St. Louis

After returning from our Florida vacation, I left almost immediately for a national conference in St. Louis. I had never been to this city, and although I was mostly restricted to large meeting rooms, I did manage to get out for a few hours after the conference ended but before I had to leave for the airport. What an interesting place. All these photos were taken with the K5 and the DA 16-45 lens.

1) The hotel where the conference was held is a remarkable old building. It used to be the major train station for the city, and it is clear that the investors who built the train station spared no expense. From the outside, the place looks like a European castle. An interesting historical note: the famous photo of Harry Truman holding up the newspaper with the erroneous headline “Dewey Defeats Truman” was taken in this train station.

2) Once I stepped inside, the place became even more amazing. The train station’s Great Hall is now the hotel lobby, and my photo does not do this place justice. The room is enormous – much bigger than this photo suggests.

3) The architectural details in the Great Hall are astonishing. The more I studied the walls and ceilings, the more amazed I was.

4) The stained glass windows must have taken hundreds of person-hours (and a lot of money!) to make.

5) Of course, if you have a few hours of free time in St. Louis, you have to go see the arch. I had seen many photos of the arch, but I was still unprepared for just how massive it is. It’s a phenomenal feat of engineering, and it is 635 feet high at its peak.
Attached Images
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:55 PM   #2

1) Another view of the Arch – trying to get creative with the arch backlit by the sun.

2) The Old Court House is part of the National Jefferson Expansion Memorial, and it holds a distinguished place in US history. Several major cases were argued in this court house, the most notable being the Dred Scott case. Unfortunately for me, the fountain in the foreground was not yet filled with water, and the court house is undergoing renovations, so it was covered with scaffolding. Perhaps someday I’ll have another opportunity to visit St. Louis when the court house fašade will be fully visible, and water will be flowing in the fountain.

I learned a lot at the conference, and I had a good time in St. Louis, but I was definitely glad to get home.
Attached Images
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:03 AM   #3
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great views of the arch. The composition in the first image of the arch is fantastic (try cloning out the 2 people and it would be perfect).

I need to get to St. Louis myself...it is within easy driving distance from me. Your images are giving some added motivation.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:45 PM   #4

These are great pictures of an unusual old building that has been reborn. The shot of the lobby is wonderful. What a great use of that large space.

The shot of the arch with the person next to it really gives a feeling for the size of the arch. I warmly remember going through St. Louis on our way to California back in 1967. Our son was only 3 years old and I have a similar picture of him and my wife standing next to the arch in the same type of shot.

The one of the arch framing the old courthouse is great. Too bad all the scaffolding was in place on the courthouse but you framed it perfectly.

Nice shooting!

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:20 PM   #5

Wow, cool shots! Fascinating information, I'd love to stay at that hotel. And your arch shots sure emphasize its size.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote