Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:45 PM   #11

What's in my camera bag ? Depends on what I'm doing. I have three camera DSLR bodies. A K10D, a KM and a K-5.

I have a dedicated bag for each body and my Canon G 12.

Day trips in the countryside:

I do a lot of day trips in my province. I usually take pix of landscape, vintage vehicles and wildlife.

For these trips I have my 55-300mm on my K-5. I have my 12-24 on my K10D and my 50 Macro F 2.8 on my KM body.

I have all my camera bags usually in the front seat , all three bags are open for quick access of the cameras/lenses...depending on what I see in my long drives.

And...yes I have a big sedan (a large Buick) with 6 passenger seating to accommodate all that paraphernalia on the passenger front seat.

If I have photo friends with me....sometimes one, sometimes two...I have enough room on the rear passenger seats to access the 3 bags.

Vintage vehicle shows/racing:

K-5 with 12-24, K10D with 10-17 Fisheye, KM with 16-45 for vehicle shows.

For racing (Drags) I have the K-5 with my 55-300 and K10D with 12-24.

Photo shoots:

I do a lot of this...sometimes solitary, sometimes with friends who are into photography.

Depends what is on the agenda...sometimes forest trail walks (K-5 or K10D with 55-300 / 12-24 /50 Macro)....sometimes architectural forays...K-5, K10D, 12-24, 16-45)...the list of different places is almost limitless and I/we decide the day before where we will go and correspondingly...what equipment will be best applicable.

Interior family- friends events:

K-5, 50 mm normal with F1.4, 16-45 and my new, just arrived lens...a 70 mm F 2.4 Limited...limited edition silver lens. Bokeh, Bokeh...Bokeh !!

Daily photography:

Just going around and about on a daily basis...errands, etc....I carry light and small. Usually my KM and 16-45 and 360 Flash, or my Canon G 12 and Canon 430 EX 11 flash.
Both bags are dedicated for either equipment and are small Lowepros.

I have tripods, Gorillapod, Leitz Tiltall...30 years old, built like a tank....Minolta Table top...a copy of the old Leitz table top design.

Two flashes...Pentax and Canon.

Five bags...Kata 3N1, four Lowepros...range in size...all these bags are dedicated to each individual camera body and the G12 Canon.

One Lowepro is very big....nine padded spots...this one stays at home and carries lenses, flashes, etc....I use it for padded storage of equipment not in use.

I have other bags for my film cameras, which I still keep.

I also bought some packs of kitchen style sponges (soft, not hard variety) and use these or cut ups of these as additional padding in the bags.

As many know I'm retired now, but when I was working my career entailed carrying a briefcase. I invariably carried a camera. Back then it was film and the equipment of choice for me...was always either my 1952 Leica Rangefinder (11f) with a 50mm F 3.5 collapsible Leitz Elmar lens and handheld Sekonic Light Meter...or my small Olympus clam shell...both 35 mm.

Both cameras are very small...I would wrap them up in foam and carry them in my work case.

BTW....my camera equipment/bags are always seat belted into my vehicles. I don't want expensive , heavy, potentially head gouging equipment to KO me in the event of an accident or sudden stop.

Last edited by lesmore49; Apr 28, 2012 at 1:50 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 2:29 PM   #12

Originally Posted by Monza76 View Post
Frogfish I like the way you organized your list into "what would I pack for... ?", it gives more meaning to it.
Thank you Ira.

I like to dabble in everything so it makes more sense to me to organise it that way, you know Jack of all trades ....

And I enjoyed reading how Lesmore organises his kit too. I'm always on the lookout for tips on how to make it easier to carry 10 kgs on my shoulder for 8 hours !
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC

Last edited by Frogfish; Apr 28, 2012 at 2:31 PM.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:17 PM   #13

Very interesting to see the variety of equipment, and also to see how Les and Kevin sort theirs by purpose.

I'm not that organized, often just grab a few things out of the (much too numerous) collection and just head on down the trail. If it's a work day on the trail, might just have one or two lenses. If it's a hike with the dogs, no need to bring along the long (birding) lenses. Etc.

But here's a list of what I might choose from:

Camera Body:
K20D (current shutter count is 61590)
KM (back-up body, only semi-functional after crash in the creek, shutter count 69815)

Prime Lenses:
DA 15
Vivitar 28 f2.8 CF
DA 35 macro
A 50 f1.4
Tamron Adaptall 90 macro (with matched 2X TC)
Sigma 105 Macro
M 135 f3.5
A* 300
Tokina 400 ATX AF

Zoom Lenses:
DA 12-24
DA 16-45
M 24-35
A 35-105
A 70-210
Sigma 70-300
SMC 135-600

I've probably forgotten something, but, in any case, these are the most-used ones...
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:47 PM   #14

Originally Posted by Frogfish View Post
Thank you Ira.

I like to dabble in everything so it makes more sense to me to organise it that way, you know Jack of all trades ....

And I enjoyed reading how Lesmore organises his kit too. I'm always on the lookout for tips on how to make it easier to carry 10 kgs on my shoulder for 8 hours !
Your organizational idea was great. So good I 'borrowed' it when describing my stuff.

lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:15 AM   #15

Okay, time to take a lesson from Frogfish. Lets get organized.
I collect camera bags like my wife collects shoes so I have (from Lowepro) a Nova 3, Nova 4, Nova 5, Micro Trekker 200, and a Toploader Zoom AW. I also have a Domke F2 and my wife Annette has a Crumpler 5 million dollar home and a Lowepro Toploader Mini.

The Road Trip:
The Micro Trekker with the K20D and all of the DA lenses plus the FA-J 75-300 and the flash. The Domke will come along to carry when we stop, and it would also contain my FA primes. The K20D is carried by a Black Rapid RS-7.

The Day Bag:
The Domke with K20D (FA 50 mounted) with the FA 35 and the DA 50-200 WR. Throw in a Sony ereader and perhaps a Nintendo DS just in case there is no-one I know at the coffee shop. The FA 28-105mm sometimes makes this trip since it offers so much flexibility in that middle range I use most (sometimes it is just the K20D and this lens slung on the Black Rapid with no other bits coming along)

Winter excursions:
The Lowepro Novas I own are not AW bags but they do offer more protection from the elements than the Domke so probably the Nova 4 (a very old model BTW) with the K20D with the DA 50-200mm WR mounted and the DA 18-55mm WR in the bag. Extra batteries would be in my pocket. I would use the Toploader Zoom AW but I would have to remove the grip from the K20D and in the cold the extra battery is very handy.

The Street photographer:
Not something I do much of but the Domke with the insert removed and the K20D with the 35mm f2 (although my Olympus E-P2 with 17mm f2.8 would probably be along with the K20D mounting the FA 28-70mm f4, small light and unobtrusive). I would also remove the vertical grip from the Pentax so as not to be so “professional” looking. Last August I was in St. John’s with a Fuji S2Pro with a Nikkor 28-105mm lens, a rather imposing looking package, and still managed to get some candid street shots but I felt a little self conscience doing it.

A Nature walk in summer:
K20D and a long lens (DA 50-200mm is sharper than the FA-J 75-300mm so I would probably use it), any of the smaller bags with the DA 18-55mm along for any wide shot opportunity.

Just for fun:
Here is where the wides come in, especially the Fisheye zoom. My only successful magazine submission was with that lens! Toss in the DA 14mm, the FA 50mm f1.4 and the FA-J 75-300mm and off I go. The Domke is my bag of choice for these outings. If the choices seem strange here is the rationale: I like the distorted view of the fisheye, the challenge is to find the right subject to exploit it, FUN. I like to exaggerate perspective by moving in close with the 14mm, FUN. I like the bokeh produced by shooting the FA 50mm wide open, FUN. And finally the FA-J 75-300mm is slow and not of great optical quality but it is (you guessed it) FUN.

I have changed my photographic philosophy many times in the digital era, the fact that digital has freed me to do that is a real boost to the hobby. I still go through stages of “the doldrums” when the cameras sit for days or even weeks, and you will notice that there are many items from my original list that don’t even show up here because they are rarely used. BTW you may have noticed that the FA50 and the DA 50-200 are the lenses I probably use most, I do plan to try to learn how to use wide angle lenses over the next few months but I think I have "telephoto eyes" which makes the longer lenses so much easier for me.

Perhaps a little more discussion on equipment choices (other than pure economics, which is why I am lacking Limiteds and DA* lenses) would make this a more entertaining and informative thread.

Thanks for the idea Frogfish.
Riverview, NB, Canada
Current equipment
Pentax K7, K5, K3:
FA 35mm f2, FA 50 f1.4, FA 28-70mm f4, FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6, F 50mm f1.7, Tamron SP 70-200mm f2.8 Di, DA 10-17 f3.5-4.5, DA 14 f2.8, DA 16-45mm f4, DA 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 WR, DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR, AF-540FGZ

Olympus E-PM1, E-PL1, E-P2, E-P5: 9mm to 150mm lenses

Last edited by Monza76; Apr 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:38 AM   #16

Well guys as my stuff is rather limited (see below) so I can not add much to the discussion.

Now that my K2000 has learned how to focus (debug mode adjustments) I keep the Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro Zoom on it for bugs, flowers and birds

The DA 18-135 DC WR has found a home on my Kr for everyday and walk around stuff.

For Sports (grand kid soccer games) golf (wildlife) its the Kr with the DAL 55-300 with a Canon P&S on my belt.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote