Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Default Summer Woes

Oddly enough where I used to live, this would be one of the best times to take photos, going virtually anywhere locally without too extreme of conditions.

I tried taking pics out in my backyard this morning in the garden while the dew drops remained and couldn't get off a clean image without the front/back lens fogging over.

I'm new at taking photos in high humidity climates.. but i have to say it is indeed frustrating and I never would have thought it would be so difficult.

I cant seem to think of a good way to acclimate the camera to outside conditions before a photo shoot and avoid the issue.

An air tight camera case with camera inside for an hour before shooting?

Thats about the only thing I havent tried.

I am of course paranoid for fungus growth so I haven't even really tried much as it is.

Suggestions welcome

NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2012, 4:58 AM   #2

Put the camera & lenses in an air-tight plastic bag(s) in your home (zip locks will do) - add a few desiccant packets too - then take it(them) outside.

If in a secure location you could just put it out 15 mins before you plan to shoot, if you are going out in public then don't plan on shooting for 15 mins.
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:07 AM   #3

Kevin hit the nail on the head for the cure. We in the northern climates have the same problem in the cold of winter when taking the camera from the warm house to the sub zero outdoors. Giving time to acclimate is the answer.

Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:55 PM   #4

Kevin's method works for me too, here in (humid) East Tennessee. My home is not air conditioned, so not too much trouble going from home to outside. But park offices are kept rather cold... Usually will put camera and lenses, in their cases, then into backpack, some time before heading out, and then give them time inside the pack to adjust to ambient temperature before taking them out.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:21 PM   #5

Thanks so much for the tips. It has been working well!

It's been real muggy here ever since Isaac left his wake. I had about 3 inches of standing water across my entire back yard for a few days. Luckily its dried up enough to not have such a mess with the dogs.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote