Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:00 AM   #1
Default Not 1, not 2 but 3 new Pentax cameras leaked!

Interesting, while they don't appear FF, launching two new K5's is interesting, no word on specs yet to see what the K5 IIs has over the K5 II, but I am starting to put money away right now in anticipation.
Pentax K-7
Tamron 90mm SP Di Macro
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:28 AM   #2

Interesting. We'll know for sure possibly in another week or so if announcements are made by Pentax at the upcoming Photokina show in Germany.

One thing that gives me pause is why would Pentax have both a K-5 11 ($ 1400 and a K-5 11s ($1500)....not a big difference in price and two models rather than just one ?

Another interesting rumour is that Pentax will unveil a white bodied, 560 mm telephoto lens. I have read that this maybe an F 4 or an F 5.6.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:42 AM   #3

Well Nikon introduced a D800 and a D800E at the same time (E slightly more expensive) but virtually the only difference is the E has no AA filter. I suspect this may be something along those lines.

Pentax need the FF, badly IMHO.

The 560mm will be f5.6 and is expected to be around $2k. There is no way their design could incorporate f4 and if it did the cost (and weight) would be atmospheric !
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:16 AM   #4

There are a lot of rumors flying around, and though I'm very happy with the K-5 and for the first time was thinking that I could skip a model, I'm finding myself intrigued by the rumors since they seem to address some of the issues.

SAFOX X -- rumored to have more AF sensors, greater low light sensitivity (-3Ev!), and higher precision f2.8 rating for the center sensor at least. I've always wanted smaller AF sensor areas since most of my subjects are relatively small and I would like more precision in picking an area where I want the camera to focus. Higher sensitivity would just make things easier in low light where I just don't see well enough to be able to confirm focus visually, and if it's indeed good to -3 Ev, this could possibly be the most sensitive AF system from anyone. I've never quite understood f2.8 rated AF sensors since my Pentax DSLRs all seem to focus my f2.8 lenses just fine -- but that being said, I won't complain about more precision in AF. . .

Focus Peaking for LV shooting -- I don't shoot too much with LV, but I can see this working for me, so it would be another tool to find a use for. AF in video -- I'm not much of a video shooter, but with AF, I might start to give it a try. I've come across a lot of things when wandering around that might be better captured with video. . . you never know.

I believe the difference between the II and the IIs will indeed be the absense of an AA filter on the sensor. I don't really see moire as a problem for my shooting, and added detail and sharpness appeals to me. I don't miss the AA filter on my Q, and that's only 12 MP. With at least 16MP, it would be even less of a problem . . . so no problem at all.

I have a K-5 that I'm very happy with, so I'll probably not be an early adopter at this point. . . or maybe not. . . I've traditionally had a very hard time controlling myself when new Pentax flagship cams are introduced. . .

One thing I'm pretty sure of though, I'm not really in the market for the 560 f5.6, unless it's ultra superb optically, surprisingly lightweight (under 6 lbs), and cheap to boot (under $2K) -- the first is possible, the second and third are very very unlikely, IMO. . .

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote