Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:08 PM   #11

Very nice, those vultures are impressive birds.
blkms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:09 PM   #12

Wonderful series Mole !

Firstly I love that last shot ... the No Wake Zone seems particularly pertinent when applied to your early morning shots which all seem to coincide with the birds' waking moments and hence cooperative nature

Vultures - I love the last shot of the original post - I call it the Three Stooges ! Are the vultures drying off when they spread their wings or just catching rays to warm up from overnight ?

Your Little Green Heron is particularly photogenic and I love his 'Terminator' pose in the last shot of him

Hummer - all lovely but I like #1 especially for the light on the bird and #3 for the wonderfully funky bokeh !
Pentax : 15 Ltd, 77 Ltd, 43/1.9 Ltd, Cosina 55/1.2, DA*300/4, Contax Zeiss Distagon 28/2.8, Raynox 150/250, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:06 AM   #13

Thanks Mole, love the shots, to bad the birds here in Michigan are not as trusting as the ones in Florida. I have yet to get a good bird shot here. Maybe on my trip out west in a few weeks will be better.

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. K30, Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC-M 28 f3.5, SMC M 50 f1.4, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Panasonic DMC-GM5, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 8:12 AM   #14

wow these are all great shots, thanks for sharing!
in my bag: e-m1, 7-14mm pro, 14-54mm mk ii, 50-200mm mk i, 70-300mm
in my pocket: e-pm2 lumix 12-32
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:56 AM   #15

magnificent photos. The 2nd blue heron is my favorite. Someething about the background bokeh... just gorgeous!
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:50 PM   #16

Hi Mole, great series again, all we need now is 4 legs :-)

simowills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:10 PM   #17

Love the first shot of the fledgling Mockingbird and the Vultures are way cool.

My Flickr Photos

Pentax K-5 K20D K100D
Pentax DA 55-300mm 4-5.8 ED / Pentax M 200mm F4 / Pentax Tak K 135mm 2.5 / Pentax M 100mm F4 Macro / Tamron SP AF90mm 2.8 Di Macro / Pentax M 1.7 50mm / Pentax M 2.8 28mm
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 9:53 AM   #18

Great shots. I guess violaters of the "No Wake Zone" get a stern warning from the "Watchbird".
BobIr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:49 PM   #19

Hawgwild - Glad you liked the "cute little" black vultures. We have a very healthy population of them in the home park, and they are not at all shy. Great for sharing with schoolkids - it's hard to scare them off!

Bikms - Indeed impressive - we have both Black Vultures and Turkey Vultures in our region, both big and impressive. Turkey Vultures have better sense of smell, so the Black Vultures often follow their "Turkey cousins" to find food (roadkill and such).

Kevin - Thanks for all the kind and specific comments. To answer your question, yes, Vultures seem to need a certain amount of "sunbathing" to keep dry, and perhaps also to cut down on parasites. The "top bird" in the pecking order gets the higher perch, and often shows its dominance by defecating on those down lower. You can tell the "lowest bird" by the amount of white streaks on its feathers! By the way, that "terminator" pose was, as usual, a lucky accident. Had the 135-600 aimed at him with 2 second delay to cut down vibrations, and he took a short leap/flight from one rock to the next just as the shutter snapped.

Hans - Isn't it interesting how the same species of bird (or other wildlife) can have such different personalities in different regions!

Ramcewan - And thanks for taking time to comment!

NMR - Got to agree with you - those GBH's sure are photogenic animals!

Simon - Thanks! I hope to have a few 4-legged shots for you soon (got some nice ones of a tree frog, but no time for PP yet)

Rodney - Thanks so much! PS - last I heard, the young Mockingbird will be out on its own soon!

BobIr - He sure is a noisy watchbird! Wish he'd let me get a little closer, but Kingfishers are just too shy for this (impatient) photographer.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:09 PM   #20

Originally Posted by mole View Post
Have not had time to post much lately - end of summer "busy-ness"in the parks, helping with some special events, and beginning our busy season of nature education for schools...

But have had time for some fun with camera, so wanted to share at least a few recent photos.

Our resident Black Vulture population is always cooperative - and they are such beautiful, photogenic carrion-eaters! Here are some soaking up the morning sun...
Wow! Mole, those are super sharp considering 600mm focal length.
tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote