Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:43 PM   #1

Default Portrait attempt 2

Comments / suggestions please.

More to come but wanted some feedback first to help better the others.

Thanks!

well after seeing the jpeg versions tehres some mistakes on the masking but im too tired to fix. go easy on me there.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2012, 4:09 AM   #2

Hi,

I'm no expert on portraiture, but my technique would be focus on the eyes at half cock on the shutter, then still at half cock recompose the shot, in this

case either back off a little or move slightly right to get a full head shot, hope this makes sense, and helps. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 4:37 AM   #3

Hi NMR - there are a few issues with this shot. WB is way off and there are blown highlights all over the place, it looks like something else is going on here as the sofa in front is in focus, her eyes are beautifully in focus and so is her hair at the back of her head ... but her forehead is not ! Have you done any PP ? There is haloing around the sofa to the rear.

Your wife has a very photogenic face but looking straight at the camera and smiling is fine for family snaps but not for serious portraits. Your wife must have some ladies' magazines - look at the model's poses (not the high fashion ones !) for tips.

I liked your first effort much more.

Sorry for the harsh C&C but tough love and all that .....

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:43 AM   #4

This shot depends on whether you meant to create an artsy, dreamy look. If you did, then it's kind of interesting. If not, Frogfish is right, many are things way off. What was your intent?
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 8:44 AM   #5

I did quite a bit of pp to try a softfocus technique, which is why it may appear there are focusing issues.

I actually prefer portraits where it doesn;t look like you are trying to fit the whole head in the shot but I do agree it would have been slight improvement if her head was shifted over to the left a tad.

I painted the background in and was rushing on the masking for the haloing effect as i mentioned in my edit.

I will try again later when its not 12 am :-)

THanks for the Critiques.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 9:57 AM   #6

Here's another attempt..

I think if the first image above had its issues worked out, I would prefer it to my liking.

This is a more generic attempt but I have a feeling everyone here will prefer it.