Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:56 AM   #1

Default Ghost Cranes in the fog

Ok, by popular request (Keltech), I'm posting some pictures from my foggy day shoot. Here's the original (cropped) followed by what I was able to do in PS.

Found converting to greyscale made it more interesting...to me anyway. Your comments on that will be appreciated.

Here's one of many groups ready to fly out of the refuge (Crex Meadows) to the surrounding fields to feed. On a clear day the sky is filled with V formations of the various flocks heading out. With the fog, I could hear them, but not see anything.

Last edited by BobIr; Oct 25, 2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: adding picture
BobIr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2012, 2:34 PM   #2

Thanks Bob, I really enjoy seeing these majestic birds. You were able to coax a nice B&W out of an image that did indeed have a ghostly aura to it. The B&W has a lot of merit and has more detail than I would have thought looking at the color image.

Someday I would like to get to Bosque Del Apache National Wildlife Reserve in New Mexico where the Cranes gather by the thousands. From your third picture it looks like you have more than you can handle in MN.

Thanks for posting these.

Lou
Keltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the comment Lou. There's a spot in Nebraska that gets huge numbers too. Those are the Lesser Sandhills. While we have a lot in MN, the big gathering is at Crex Meadows, a refuge in Grantsburg, Wisconsin. There's now about 10,000 Greater Sandhills at Crex, only about 800 of them "residents" that nest and raise their colts there. The rest migrate in to rest and feed 'til November when they all head to Florida, sometime in November. When the flowages freeze over, they're gone.
BobIr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:42 PM   #4

Glad to see you at least got to 'see' your birds Bob. So frustrating when you make a trip for a specific bird and don't find it.

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:49 AM   #5

Great shots. I love the B&W version. Great atmosphere.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote