Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:08 AM   #1

Default K5 Memory Card Error

Having read the data off the SD Card, it was popped back into the K5 with the recharged battery until today; neither the card(s) nor the K5 have previously given any problems.

Switched the K5 on to take some photos & couldn't understand why I couldn't take the shoot until I looked at the LCD with the 'Memory Card Error' message. Replaced the card with different one & re-formatted it but still the same message. Tried an 3rd card with the same problem so I changed batteries - no difference. I could access all the menus so it didn't seem like the K5 had totally died.

I then removed the SD Card & blew into the card slot, re-inserted the card & switched on with a different message 'Memory Card not formatted'. Reformatted the card & it's now recognising the card & has worked without a hitch all day.

I never leave the card slot door open even when the card has been removed to read the files onto the PC so I was surprised to get this problem was likely due to something causing the card from being recognised.

I'll have to keep an eye on things during the balance of the warranty.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:25 PM   #2

I've experienced anything like that with my K-5 but your experience proves anything is possible. Clearly something got in that slot - most likely something got on a card when it was outside of the camera and was carried into the slot when you installed that particular card.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote