Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:51 PM   #1

Default laptop resolution

I know this isn't exactly photography related, but I figure people here would know.

I'm needing a new laptop and in trying to find the perfect system running into problems with the screen resolutions available. Most are at 1366x768. I currently have a Dell with 1680x1060. Well, I have it, but it's not working every day.

Anyway, if I find a system with 1920x1080 I lose the 1TB hard drive and a few other things I'm looking for. So, my question is is the 1366x768 really acceptable for running PSE and Lightroom like the salespeople are telling me?

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:40 AM   #2

IMO you would notice a pretty good difference in processing your photos with the lower resolution. If you know someone who will do it for you it is pretty easy to swap out memory and hard drives in a windows unit. Many of us choose to buy the cheapest (smallest hard drive and least memory) and then upgrade it ourselves. Memory is fairly cheap these days and and ! TB drive is also. Hope this helps.

Pentax K3, 31 ltd, 77 ltd, DA300, WR 100, 15mm
Pastorbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:16 AM   #3

I've done the memory before in a laptop. Never the hard drive. I can continue looking. Ad ends tonight I found out on the system I'd been looking at. $270 off.

I could always wait until black friday/monday deals and see what comes up too. This is 3rd week w/o laptop.

About how much would 1 tb drive and memory for Lenovo be? Had currently been looking at 15" screen, Intel i7 possibly quad processor, w/10 keypad, 8 gb ram, 1 tb drive, w7 or 8, long battery life. The 15" and keypad are must, unless size/weight aren't huge. 17" have keypad but too large and get up to 7/8 lbs.

Still open to more opinions on the resolution if there are any.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:35 AM   #4

i get most of my hard drives and memory from www.crucial.com

They have a process on their home page that will take you thru to match your computer and show you the price for memory and hard drives. I would think you could upgrade to 16gb and 1tb for less than 150.00. They often have videos that show you how to do the upgrade.

Lenovo is always adding deals. If you have not already you can send them your email and their will send you at 10% coupon that usually stacks on top of other deals. Also http://www.techbargains.com/ has good coupons on systems. Just search under the coupons tab.

Hope you get what you want.

David

Pentax K3, 31 ltd, 77 ltd, DA300, WR 100, 15mm

Last edited by Pastorbbc; Nov 14, 2012 at 10:37 AM.
Pastorbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:23 AM   #5

If you are going to upgrade the hard drive, make doubly sure that the laptop is supplied with a Windows (re)installation disc, or else you are going to have to faff around with cloning the old hard drive.

Some manufacturers these days don't supply one and instead partition off the main hard drive and copy the Windows installation to a hidden partition for recovery purposes.
Tamron Adaptall 2 - 28mm, 28-80mm, 500mm Mirror
Pentax KAF - 18-55mm WR, 28-105mm PowerZoom
Pentax K - 50mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 28mm f/2.2
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:49 AM   #6

I've been looking at the Lenovo Y580 with specs listed above. The only thing that would make it better I see is a SSD drive. But, I can live without that. I've looked around at other systems with same specs and they don't have as good of reviews. The weight is still a concern. But, it would only be if I travel and I have a rolling bag for it.

I've had limited time this week to look. So, the only better thing would be if Lenovo lowered the price for black friday. But, on the blackfriday.com site, their ad doesn't show this one.

Thanks for the input. So, can I just ask them not to partition the drive so Windows is in a hidden partition? I do know this laptop has some One Recovery system. I have yet to research what exactly it is. I did download the manual to read on my lunch hour today.

Thanks, Patty
Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:09 PM   #7

Hi Patty
You could ask, But i doubt they will not put the hidden partition with windows. Usually there is a way to burn a backup disc built in to the computer.
BTW sent u an email

Phil

Last edited by Black Knight; Nov 17, 2012 at 5:26 PM.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:41 PM   #8

Wish I could be helpful, but this is beyond my level of expertise. However, my laptop has been acting wiggy for quite a while, so I may also be in the market for a new laptop soon. I'll be interested in hearing what you get.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 9:17 PM   #9

Thanks for all the input. I finally found a system and ordered it last night. Won't be here for a few weeks. Just hoping this one holds out till then. Started acting wacky earlier today again.

Patty
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:02 PM   #10

Is it just the display that is acting up, and does it change when you move the lid? If that is the case, it could be the connector between the two pieces, and shouldn't be too difficult or expensive to fix. Of course, I'm hoping mine might quit altogether because Christmas is coming and I've been really good this year Santa.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote