Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:49 PM   #1

Default Info on Zoom ring 50-135

Just got a 50-135 and am very pleased with the photos. Just a little concered as to how easy the zoom ring moves. It is very very easy to move with hardly any effort. Seems to have very little resistance, yet it does not move on its own when the lens is moved. Just wondering if you guys that have the lens noticed the same. Thanks
Pentax K3, 31 ltd, 77 ltd, DA 55 1.4, DA300, WR 100, 15mm ltd, DA50-135

Last edited by Pastorbbc; Nov 22, 2012 at 8:59 PM.
Pastorbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:40 PM   #2

Hi Pastorbbc,

My DA*50-135 is one of the earliest examples, bought right after they were introduced, and the zoom ring has always been precise but light -- a bit lighter than my other high end zooms. This has not loosened up any with extended use, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you experience unintended movement. I'm not sure about this by any means, but it might be possible to adjust the drag if it loosens up to the point where it becomes a problem.

BTW, how are you liking your K5 IIs? I'm probably going to get one, but will wait a few months until I'm ready to send my K-5 in for it's complimentary cleaning/adjustment under the extended warranty this winter.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 6:09 AM   #3

Thanks Scott . . I'm not having unintended movement on the 50-135 and was hoping that the easy movement was normal.

The K5iis is great. So far I'm more than please with the camera. I also own a D800 and I love it but at 61 LOL it is so heavy to carry hiking that I often would go without a camera. On our recent visit to grand canyon I took both cameras just to compare. The K5iis is not up to the FF D800 but to be honest it is close enough that the next trip I take I'll take only the K5iis. Focus in low light is much better than K5 and the high ISO shots are somewhat improved. IMO it is the best non FF option. The link below to my flickr account has photos from our recent trip. I've included photos from both cameras.
Pentax K3, 31 ltd, 77 ltd, DA 55 1.4, DA300, WR 100, 15mm ltd, DA50-135

Last edited by Pastorbbc; Nov 23, 2012 at 6:13 AM.
Pastorbbc is offline   Reply With Quote