Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:18 AM   #1

Default Dec 2012 Challenge: Holiday Album Cover

Holiday Album Cover. Not matter how you celebrate the holiday! If you don't celebrate the holidays, maybe a New Year's Eve Bash album?

Since it is an album cover, the end image should be square.

Other than that, anything goes. Whatever you want to play with. Decorations. Landscape. Portraiture (maybe do your take on the classic Bing Crosby album cover.) Still Life, Macro, etc.

My "example" is of a Christmas decoration. Some friends had their Christmas decorations up so I thought I'd play around with bokeh. But it doesn't have to be about anything like that.

If you have a tune / band in mind while putting together your image, please feel free to type it in. We can listen to a sample of it through iTunes?

If you want to come up with a fictitious band name and album name, cool!

Usual rules apply. Picture must be taken with a Pentax or Samsung dSLR or Pentax interchangeable lens camera (K-01, Q, etc.) within the past 90 days.
Attached Images

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Dec 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Typos
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:21 PM   #2

That's a neat idea! How to make a good picture in a square. In the past we've limited size to the longest side being 800 (to give all pictures a fair shake), so this time all sizes will be 800 pixels (or as close as you can get if your processing software doesn't allow you to set a square for cropping). This is going to be both fun and challenging.

If someone wants to make up a fictitious band and album theme, can they have the option (or not) of adding graphics (we've always been open to whatever when it comes to processing)? That would make it even more challenging for me as I'm so hopeless as a graphic designer, but might add a neat dimension for others - especially if their idea required some explanation that a few graphics might clarify easier. Or maybe not - would that be too much/too difficult to judge? Don't mind me, I'm just throwing out ideas that popped into my brain when I saw the topic. I'm making it too much of it, probably. But thought it might be a good idea for someone far more artistic that way than I am. I'm imagining all sorts of neat things, none of which I have the least cability of pulling off, so perhaps someone else would like to explore the graphics as an enhancement to an album cover picture idea.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
If someone wants to make up a fictitious band and album theme, can they have the option (or not) of adding graphics (we've always been open to whatever when it comes to processing)?
Yeah. Absolutely. That would be amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
would that be too much/too difficult to judge?
Hadn't thought of that to tell you the truth. But then there are so many different approaches taken to these challenges that I find it hard to pick just one all the time as it is. It's a treat to see how everyone approaches things. And, for me, a way to look at things different and learn.

Above all. I just hope this is something that everyone can have fun with over the month of December.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticdesigns View Post
Usual rules apply. Picture must be taken with a Pentax or Samsung dSLR or Pentax interchangeable lens camera (K-01, Q, etc.) within the past 90 days.
Wow I do have a K mount adapter for my Q so I guess it "Q"ualifies.

Hans

...It is better to burn a roll of film than curse the darkness. Equip. Kr, K30, Q & Q7, DAL 55-300, DA 35 f2.4, DA 50 f1.8 DA 18-135, SMC A 50 f1.7, SMC-A 28 f2.8, SMC M 135 f3.5, Canon P&S S100 w/CHDK Beta, Flickr:
hnikesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnikesch View Post
Wow I do have a K mount adapter for my Q so I guess it "Q"ualifies.
HaHaHa! That would be "Q"ool!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 5:00 PM   #6

Congratulations on a well-deserved win, and thanks for a very interesting topic for December.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 6:42 PM   #7

Congrats on your win. I was amazed at your image. Pretty cool!

This should be an interesting challenge. Hopefully I can find some time this month to attempt it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:42 PM   #8

I'll post this one - I may change it later on if I come up with something better. I've come up with several others this past week, I'll start another thread about them.

I grew up loving to listen to Marty Robbins and other cowboy songs. So I thought this picture would work for an album cover.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:47 AM   #9

Did you really mean COYboy? I also grew up listening to Marty Robbins. Remember "Big Iron" and "Cool Water?"

Last edited by pboerger; Dec 17, 2012 at 2:14 PM.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 1:30 PM   #10

Oh Dear Harriet is playing the gay card

Nikon : D800, D600, Sigma 500/4.5, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 - 35/2.0, Nikkor 85/1.8G, Sigma 50/1.4. Nikon x1.4 TC, Sigma x2.0 TC
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote